Senior Data Onboarding Engineer
- Location Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary £50,840 - £73,436
- Contract type Permanent
- Closing date 30/04/2019
- Ref R002500093
• A Senior Data Onboarding Engineer in our head offices in Swindon
• Up to £73,436 a year on a permanent 35-hour per week contract
• Send in your application by 30th April 2019
Nationwide has recently launched a new data strategy which will transform the way the society thinks about, values and manages its data. As part of this new strategy the Data & Analytics community, and more specifically, the Data Solutions team has a number of exciting new roles to help deliver on the promises of reducing the number of legacy data stores, simplifying the architectural landscape and treating data as a valued asset.
This role will focus on the identification, analysis and acquiring of strategic data sources for the enterprise data lake, establishing an enduring in-house sourcing, onboarding and publishing capability to enable and support delivery of onwards data strategy and supporting adhoc exploitation and discovery initiatives.
Combining accountabilities for planning, source procurement, delivery, continuous improvement and building an in-house capability, this exciting new role will provide the opportunity to work with some cutting-edge technologies, industry leading vendors and help shape and drive the next phase of the strategy execution.
Who we're looking for
As a minimum requirement you’ll:
• Have significant experience of data lake / warehouse / business intelligence implementations gained in a mix of industry sectors
• Be a strong leader with a significant level of technical competence as you will be required to setup and lead a team of engineers alongside setting strategy
• Be able to demonstrate line management experience, be able to set SMART objectives and drive high performance and continual improvement
• Have a track record of collaborative working across disparate business and IT disciplines
• Demonstrable experience and understanding of business processes and technologies involved in customer interactions and the onboarding and servicing of financial products and services
• Have excellent stakeholder management and influencing skills
It would be nice if you also had:
• Experience of commercial ETL tooling, such as Informatica, Ab Initio or DataStage in an analytical context
• Experience of appliance databases, such as Teradata
• A strong understanding of Data Architecture principles
• Appreciation of varied application delivery methodologies
What you'll be doing
Reporting to the Snr Mgr Data Engineering, you will be working within the context of an ambitious data landscape consolidation agenda and alongside an exciting portfolio of enterprise level change. You will lead a team of data engineers responsible for all aspects of data onboarding and maintenance from collaborative investigation of business processes that create and master data, sampling, profiling and assessment of candidates, to commissioning and integration of robust and fully documented interfaces resulting in a secure GDPR compliant presentation of the data assets for safe onward integration and exploitation.
Working with D&A Change demand functions you will engage with projects and other change vehicles to understand and log their upcoming demands for, or impact upon, data within its operational context and assess and highlight their synergies or conflicts to the wider D&A community.
Working with management stakeholders within Communities across the Society, and externally too, you will establish and maintain strong ongoing working relationships with providers of data.
Working directly with Data & Analytics senior stakeholders you will collate and present competing demand for data from across the delivery capabilities and, equipped with feasibility analysis and estimates, you will recommend, agree and adjust priorities and progress sprint planning for ongoing execution against an evolving Roadmap that you will maintain.
Working with D&A Governance Stakeholders you’ll gather evidence and feasibly on sourcing options for data demand as it arises to either pursue commissioning of interfaces on a “right first time” basis or to pursue early release of value with follow on remediation. You will ensure data is catalogued, inventorised and enriched with technical metadata and verify that it has been tagged with an appropriate security classification.
Working closely with Architecture you’ll be investigating and shaping options for data supply from hitherto unfamiliar or emerging source technologies and agreeing recommendations for leverage of existing or new integration patterns and technologies.
Working with Analysis & Design you’ll be driving continual improvement of the data onboarding capability through extension of metadata driven ingestion and publication capabilities, creation of new code assets to support emerging integration technology options, and shaping the overall batch orchestration design
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So if you help us do the right thing for our members, we’ll help further your career with us.
As part of our team you’ll get:
• Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
• Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• 24 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
• The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
• Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
• Access to a Healthcare scheme
• Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme