Senior Data Scientist
- Location Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary £50,840 - £73,436
- Contract type Permanent
- Closing date 30/04/2019
- Ref R002500096
• Senior Data Scientist – The Analytics Practice, Data & Analytics Community.
• £50,840 to £72,436 per annum plus bonus and benefits on a permanent, 35-hour contract.
• Send in your application by 30th April 2019.
The Analytics Hub sits in a new, data-led community that provides analytic and data science-based solutions to all areas of Nationwide. We solve real business problems, improve customer experience and drive efficiency. It’s an exciting time to join as the demand for innovation and analytics is increasing, so you’ll be able to grow with us in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
Who we're looking for
We’re looking for a Senior Data Scientist with a specialism in analytics who is enthusiastic, proactive and ready to bring fresh ideas and methods to the team.
As a minimum, you’ll:
• Be a fluent communicator
• Have experience with databases and SQL as well as processing unstructured data
• Have expertise using Python/R
• Have a Masters or PhD in maths, statistics, computer science, physics, economics or related field.
• Have knowledge of linear algebra, high order statistics and machine learning algorithms such as Support Vector Machines, Random Forest, Artificial Neural networks
• Hadoop, PySpark, Natural Language Processing or Deep learning experience would be beneficial
• Experience interpreting outputs of models and building visualizations to depict your interpretations
• Have completed end-to-end analytical pieces of work, bringing the output to life through compelling story telling to ensure business adoption.
• Be innovative, creative and agile, developing and championing new ideas, spotting opportunities, and learning fast along the way.
• Experience of SAS EM, VA/VS would be beneficial
• Experience of productionising models would be beneficial
What you'll be doing
Working within the Agile framework, and a hub-and-spoke data science model, you will collaborate with different communities to understand the difficulties they face and identify improvements. You’ll develop new analytics use cases for the team to deliver and work collaboratively with both the data engineering teams and business stakeholders to understand how data can be used to support use case delivery.
The data you use will be varied and multi-faceted, and the insights you generate along the way will prove invaluable. We are constantly looking to utilise more varied structured, semi-structured and unstructured data sources to bring additional dimensions into our analysis. A key part of your role will be to seek out those sources and spot opportunities. Comfortable working with senior business leaders, you’ll build relationships across the Society, creating compelling data driven stories to support your outputs and findings.
We are currently investing in a new Big Data platform based on Hortonworks Hadoop, Teradata and Open Source tooling. We’ll use this technology to develop a strong data science capability and you will be at the forefront of early adopters looking to embrace and grow this capability.
The extras you'll get
Feeling as though you belong means being valued, recognised and rewarded. We aim to give our people a good work-life balance, so you’ll receive your schedule in advance, helping you to organise your life. We show our support through the recognition and rewards scheme we offer:
• Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
• Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• 24 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
• The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
• Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
• Access to a healthcare scheme
• Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme