Data Centre Technician Supervisor
- Location Swindon, South West England
- Salary £27,484 - £39,699
- Contract type Permanent
- Closing date 20/01/2019
- Ref R001900831
- A number of Data Centre Technician Supervisors, based at Newbury and Swindon
- Salary £27,484 - £39,699 a year (dependent on skills and experience), plus £8,731 shift allowance, based on a permanent contract working an average of 35 hours per week (24x7 shifts)
- Please send in your application by 20th January 2019
As a Data Centre Technician Supervisor you’ll be managing a small team of technicians and be based in one, and working across the two Nationwide Data Centre’s in Swindon and Newbury performing various duties from physical installation of equipment and hardware break fix activities to the supervision of third party engineers.
Who we're looking for
We need a Certified Data Centre Technician with significant hands on operational experience of working in a large heterogenous data centre environment–who has the experience and ability to:
- Supervise and perform line management duties of a small team of up to 3 people
- Manage and prioritise the workload of the team.
- Take responsibility for ensuring hardware incidents and problems are resolved within the agreed service levels by working with both internal and external stakeholders & suppliers
- Have strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate across multi-skilled teams
- Build racks, copper & fibre patching and perform hardware installations for all new infrastructure deployments.
- Use a Service management tool for change and incident management e.g. ServiceNow or Remedy.
- Monitor incident queues, troubleshooting and diagnosing hardware incidents and where applicable provide hardware break fix for infrastructure and cabling within the data hall.
- Maintain an inventory of data centre spares for hardware break fix
- Input accurate details into an IT asset management system
- Perform (or Arrange and co-ordinate with 3rd parties where appropriate) Data Centre floor walks checking for faults/warning lights and asset management audits on data hall infrastructure
- Create and maintain technical support and procedural documentation for consumption by both 1st and 2nd level support teams
- Oversee secure disposal of data centre assets ensuring all documentation is updated appropriately.
- Understand the impact of changes happening within the data centre and provide approval and oversight when necessary
- Perform installation de-installation of infrastructure components.
- Experience of building relationships within an organisation as well as third party suppliers
It would be nice if you also had:
- ITIL V3 Foundation certification
- Experience of using a DCIM tool (for example Nlyte)
What you'll be doing
As part of the Data Centre Services function you will be leading a 3-man team of 24x7 Smart Hands technicians performing around the clock hands on support of the Societies infrastructure and the secure supervision of work being carried out within the Data Centre, responsible for signing off that the work has been completed to the required standard.
You will be the first line of support for certain hardware components, diagnosing hardware faults and resolving them where possible or liaising with 3rd party partners to enable a timely resolution. You will be involved in commissioning and decommissioning activities ensuring that data centre assets are recorded correctly and providing oversight of the secure disposal of end of life or faulty equipment. You will also be performing proactive visual inspections of infrastructure within the data centre and performing hardware and cabling audits to make sure that the data centre tooling up to date and accurate. You will create and maintain operational processes and procedures as required which will need to be clear and well-structured so that other teams can easily follow them. As the supervisor you will be responsible for the ongoing development and performance management of your team.
You’ll be required to work across both our sites in Newbury and Swindon so a driving licence is preferable.
The extras you'll get
As part of our team you’ll get:
• Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
• Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• 24 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
• The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
• Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
• Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme