Senior Manager - Design
- Location Swindon, Bristol, South West England
- Contract type Permanent
- Closing date 21/03/2018
- Ref R002201654
- Senior Manager, Design
- Bristol and Swindon
- Salary dependent on experience
- Competitive benefits package
- Permanent role working 35-hour week
- Please submit a portfolio/portfolio link with your CV
What started with Charles Cooper’s quiet revolution of 1884 – to help ordinary people buy their own homes – has grown into the Nationwide Building Society of today.
We have one of the highest customer satisfaction ratings in the industry, and continue to be voted the UK’s most trusted financial services brand.
We’re owned by our members, so their needs are at the heart of everything we do. To support them digitally, we have a clear strategy backed by a significant commitment to transform our technology platforms and the products and services we provide.
To help us create engaging and meaningful experiences for our members, we’re looking for a Senior Manager, Design.
Who we're looking for
We need a leader who can tell as well as show. An evangelist who can represent design, and its inherent business value, at the highest levels across the organisation. We need a master crafts-person with demonstrable experience of creating beautiful brand-led experiences. And a natural storyteller able to explain how to design the right things, the right way.
You’ll focus obsessively on our members: who they are, what they need and what motivates them. You’ll ensure every experience we create connects with its audience in a meaningful, authentic and recognisably Nationwide way.
Join us and you’ll shape and grow our design team and our design culture. You’ll be responsible for the evolution of our digital brand across all digital touch-points. You’ll support and influence senior stakeholders. You’ll champion design at every level. And use your knowledge and experience to encourage your team to continually raise the quality bar.
At a minimum you’ll have:
- Demonstrable experience championing design, and representing its importance as a strategic problem solver, at the most senior levels
- Expertise in researching, designing and creating brand-led experiences in fast-paced, commercial environments
- Extensive experience in the craft behind design, design thinking and creating a collaborative creative culture
- Experience leading and managing in-house and freelance design teams – either agency or client side
- Excellent career record in the consumer retail or banking space, with a proven track record of commercially evaluating, scoping and shaping online services and process and a strong portfolio of design work
- Exceptional commercial awareness, strategic thinking and an ability to deliver member-focused digital experiences
- Well developed pastoral skills and significant experience leading multi-disciplinary teams
- Exceptional influencing skills and communication skills
What you'll be doing
Taking the strategy you devise, you’ll lead, develop and grow both the design team and our methods and culture. You’ll be responsible for overseeing the creation of brand-led experiences for our members and colleagues. And by driving the thinking and ways-of-working, ensure what we learn from our members and agree with our senior stakeholders is what we deliver.
You’ll also represent our team at events throughout our business, as well as at relevant external events.
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So if you help us do the right thing for our customers, we’ll help further your career at Nationwide. As well as your salary, there’s life assurance, a pension and a recognition and rewards scheme. We think it’s a great place to work, and we’re not afraid of giving you praise when you’ve done well.