Senior Manager, Web & Sitecore Development
- Location Swindon, Bristol, South West England
- Contract type Permanent
- Closing date 21/03/2018
- Ref R002201656
- Senior Manager, Web & Sitecore Development
- Bristol, Swindon or London based with travel around each site
- Salary dependent on experience
- Competitive benefits package
- Permanent role working 35-hour week
What started with Charles Cooper’s quiet revolution of 1884 – to help ordinary people buy their own homes – has grown into the Nationwide Building Society of today.
We have one of the highest customer satisfaction ratings in the industry, and continue to be voted the UK’s most trusted financial services brand.
We’re owned by our members, so their needs are at the heart of everything we do. To support them digitally, we have a clear strategy backed by a significant commitment to transform our technology platforms and the products and services we provide.
To help us deliver technically brilliant member-led experiences, we’re looking for a Senior Manager, Development.
In the last couple of years we’ve created a Service Design studio in Bristol – a key building block of our digital ambition. Designed to support collaborative working and true human-centred design across all touch-points, we’re very proud to have one of the best in-house spaces in the Southwest. Its sole purpose is to better understand people’s needs, so we can design industry-leading experiences for our members and colleagues
Who we're looking for
We need a technical leader and a problem solver. Someone who is passionate about web development and building high performing development teams. To be successful, you’ll need to be a web development expert and likely have been a developer yourself. You’ll know what developers need and how to create environments that get the most from them. You’ll be expected to represent web and application development at a senior level, shaping and leading our direction, people and development practice.
We need a leader and a problem solver. Someone who is passionate about development and building a team. We need you to represent web and application development at a senior level, shaping and leading our direction, people and development practice.
You’ll need significant experience of upgrading legacy platforms to the latest technologies and frameworks, and be able to guide and champion the best way forward. You’ll bring your team together and drive efficiency, quality and innovation across the member and colleague experiences we create.
You’ll define and own the strategy, and set the standard across web development, testing and ways of working. You’ll be comfortable working as part of a large company, and be adept at building relationships with other technical practices.
Your focus will be on building the team of front and back end developers, testers and shaping how they work with the multi-disciplined teams they are part of. Your experience of agile and co-located sprint teams will see you train and develop individuals who know how to collaborate and thrive in this environment.
At a minimum you’ll have:
- A strong background in Front, Back and Full Stack web development
- Expertise in designing, developing and maintaining enterprise CMS platforms (preferably Sitecore)
- Experience leading and managing in-house and freelance developers, testing and release teams – either agency or client side
- Proven experience managing websites and apps with the volume of traffic, complexity and security requirements typical of financial institutions
- Demonstrable experience in setting strategic direction for the development of digital products and services that take into account emerging and legacy technologies
- Led and shaped strategies that support growing partnerships, technical infrastructure change, technical progression and new ways of delivery
- Significant experience in Development Operations and Test Development
- Well developed pastoral skills and extensive experience of managing multi-disciplinary teams
- Experience in planning and building both colleague and member experiences in fast-paced, commercial environments
- Excellent career record in the consumer retail or banking space, with a track record of commercially evaluating, scoping and shaping online products and services
- Exceptional influencing and communication skills
What you'll be doing
Taking the strategy you devise, you’ll lead both technology and methodology decision-making throughout team. This will include standardisation of system architecture, reusable code base development, software, tooling, quality, best practice, source control and deployment processes. You’ll have a plan for inducting new members into the team that brings them up-to-speed as quickly as possible.
Collaborating with other Senior Managers, you’ll oversee the creation of compelling digital experiences, and ensure what we learn from our members and agree with our senior stakeholders is what we deliver. You’ll also represent our team at events throughout our business, as well as at relevant external events.
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So if you help us do the right thing for our customers, we’ll help further your career at Nationwide. As well as your salary, there’s life assurance, a pension and a recognition and rewards scheme. We think it’s a great place to work, and we’re not afraid of giving you praise when you’ve done well.