Head of Digital Service and Experience Design
- Location Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary Competitive
- Contract type Permanent
- Closing date 23/10/2018
- Ref ER002200015
- A Head of Digital Service and Experience Design
- Bristol, Swindon and London
- Senior Executive Package
- Permanent/Interim considered
- Send in your application by 23rd October 2018
Nationwide is the world’s largest Building Society, holding relationships with 1 in 4 households in the UK and equivalent in size to a top 50 FTSE listed company, but it’s our mutual status that makes us stand out from our competitors. With market leading customer and employee satisfaction, our reputation is one of the strongest in the sector. We have nearly 700 retail outlets across the UK and we’re committed to our branch network as a key pillar of our strategy, but our business doesn’t stop at bricks and mortar.
Our members log into our mobile banking app over 2.5 million times a day, visit our website 15 million times a month and complete over 60% of our total sales online. And in today's economic climate, our members welcome our reputation for being open, honest and trustworthy, with a genuine choice of how they engage with us.
We recently announced £4.1bn of investment, of which £1.3bn is incremental to an already ambitious plan. This will ensure Britain’s biggest Building Society and the UK’s second largest mortgage lender is primed for the next generation of digital innovation and enable us to provide exceptional digital services to our members.
Record numbers are now seeing the benefits of mutuality - from service to value – through a digital lens. The exponential rate of advances in technology combined with our focus on our members’ expectations mean we’re constantly scanning the horizon, looking to the future, and determining how to offer our members and colleagues the best service possible.
We want to be on the front foot as we adapt to meet the changing needs of consumers - our recently announced investment is designed to help Nationwide take the next step and build on our success so far. We’re no strangers to innovation, having been the first on the UK high street to launch an internet bank, launching Apple Pay on Day 1 the service went live, winning several awards for our 4* rated mobile banking app, plus leading-edge video call technology in our branches. But we know we can always do more, and we need the right people to make that happen.
This Senior Executive role provides a compelling opportunity for a recognised thought leader to work within our Digital Community, responsible for understanding our member and colleague needs and using those to create exceptional, human-centred digital services. You’ll be a visionary, with a proven track record of developing the design culture and capability within an organisation through the practical design and delivery of new services.
Who we're looking for
We’re looking for someone who will be evangelical about Digital Service and Experience Design, its use and the opportunities that it presents us. You will also need to have a strong balance of intellectual capacity, emotional intelligence and curiosity – as you will be expected to work directly with the teams designing, building and running our digital services in agile hubs. Alongside this, you’ll build relationships with stakeholders across the business - including our Executive Committee – and inform and drive debate on the value of service and experience design within Nationwide and the wider industry to support our broader societal objectives.
The successful person will have or be able to demonstrate:
- Considerable experience in creative leadership, service design and customer/user experience design, with a proven track record of practical service design delivery in a large organisation.
- Significant proven experience of developing and leading a multi-disciplined service and experience design team, creating a highly efficient & effective operation and transforming both digital and multi-channel service experiences demonstrating the impact on customer satisfaction & business results.
- The ability to work well in a cross-functional multi-discipline environment, with strong influencing and communications skills up to Board level.
- Proven experience of working with agile, multi-disciplinary teams, delivering front-to-back, end-to-end service/journey design, with an ability to articulate the value of this approach.
- Strong people and organisational leadership skills, and the ability to set direction and lead credibly both up and out into the business, and within the teams you represent.
- A wide appreciation of design (Content, Service, UX, UI) and front-end web development technologies and tools e.g. Adobe Creative Suite, HTML & CSS, CMS, Atlassian Suite/JIRA etc.
- A commercially creative mind-set – able to generate and deliver ideas for rich and innovative digital solutions and demonstrate the impact on business results and channel strategy.
What you'll be doing
Reporting directly to the Director of Nationwide Digital, and a member of the Digital Executive Leadership Team, you will be accountable for understanding our digital service and experience needs, and using those to create exceptional, member-focused digital services.
You will also be responsible for:
- Leading a direct team of c. 100, with an operational budget of c. £5m.
- Working with the Head of Digital Strategy & Product Development to define the digital service and experience vision and journey/service design roadmap. This will include:
- Creation of service and experience blueprints
- Opportunity exploration and value case development
- Working with the product owner community to embed member and colleague centric design throughout service/journey development and ensure the right member outcomes.
- Managing resource deployment and prioritisation within the service and experience design team to ensure effective and timely delivery within cost.
- Building and nurturing a team of strong design and experience specialists through effective career paths to become the destination for up and coming talent.
As part of the recruitment process we require you to submit a CV and covering letter supporting your application highlighting your relevant skills and experience.
The extras you'll get
When you put a lot in, it’s only fair to expect a lot out. So, when you help us do the right thing for our members, we want to reward you. As well as your salary, additional benefits include 30 days’ holiday (on top of bank holidays), an executive car or cash allowance, a competitive pension or cash alternative, private healthcare for your family plus executive health screening every 2 years, life assurance and the opportunity to participate in Sharing in Success, our Society-wide, all-employee variable pay plan. If that wasn’t enough, you could also tailor your reward package by taking advantage of a range of flexible benefits.