Risk Manager Lead
- Location Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary £50,840 - £73,436
- Contract type Permanent
- Closing date 26/10/2018
- Ref R001700260
Do you want to work in a diverse, high-profile environment that gives you the opportunity to influence at the highest level? Our team works in a fast paced, risk and control environment that provides the opportunity to interact with and add value to the largest building society in the world.
If you have a proven ability to lead and engage successfully with senior management and directors, develop other team members, whilst also driving challenging pieces of work in tight timescales why not come and join our Governance, Risk and Control (GRC) team? We’re looking for someone who can really make a difference as part of a highly professional and friendly team identifying, assessing and monitoring key risks and controls, but also driving change on a variety of risk related projects both within the Community and across the wider business, working with our peers across the Society.
• Risk Manager Lead, Governance, Risk & Control in our head offices in Swindon.
• £50,840 - £73,436 a year (depending on current salary and benefits) plus company car or cash allowance on a permanent 35-hour contract.
• Send in your application by Friday, 26th October 2018
Who we're looking for
We are looking for someone who is up for a challenge – tenacious and positive in your approach, energetic and willing to try new approaches, even if you don’t achieve what you want the first time. Whilst technical ability in risk and control management is a ‘must’, you will be someone who displays the right values, attitude and behaviours – not only to fit in with our friendly team, but also to be both an ambassador for risk management within our Community and an ambassador for our Community across Nationwide.
As a minimum requirement you’ll:
• have a degree and/or be IRM or CIA qualified
• have sound experience working in risk management, preferably within the financial services industry
• have experience of using Governance, Risk and Compliance systems as you will need to learn how to use our in-house system and support the roll out of a new system in due course
• be confident working with staff at all levels as you will need to build relationships with senior leaders and their teams, including attending and contributing to senior management meetings or forums
• communicate risk concepts clearly and jargon free to help embed risk management across the Community and reinforce a positive risk culture
• be tenacious, positive and brave in your approach, overcoming any barriers that arise, with the confidence that you will be 100% supported to be your most productive and best self
What you'll be doing
The Governance, Risk & Control team protects the Finance & Efficiency Community and our members by implementing effective risk and control management. The areas in our Community are diverse so you need to be pragmatic and flexible to manage the many varied and sometimes competing priorities. In one week, you could find yourself supporting our material risk takers in demonstrating reasonable steps, re-articulating controls and risks for the ERMF Simplification programme, or training risk professionals on the intricacies of our Risk Management methodology. Whilst our team thrives on this variety, it isn’t always easy to juggle, so you need to be good at managing your time and your stakeholder’s expectations.
As the first line of defence, our team is here to protect our Community from anything that could prevent delivery of its aims and objectives. There will be times when we may not have the confidence that people, processes or projects are working as well as they could, so you need to be able to ask the right questions to pin point the key issues at play and to be brave enough to challenge, even when it might feel uncomfortable. It won’t be easy, so you will need to have the integrity to build trust and credibility with your stakeholders.
You will have the opportunity to lead or contribute to innovative projects within our Community and with other GRC teams across the business, putting you at the forefront of how we evolve our risk and control management capability at Nationwide. This could be leading the Community’s contribution to the Nationwide risk capability skills matrix or key elements of the Enterprise Risk Management Framework Simplification Programme.
This role presents a great opportunity to manage your own business area relationships, work in an energetic and productive team, and to further your credibility and reputation with our Senior Leadership team. You will also advance your skills in some hugely captivating areas of expertise, supported by access to an array of training and development opportunities from our in-house Finance & Efficiency Academy. Most importantly of all, you will work in a team where you are trusted and supported 100% so that you can be your best, most confident self and grow during your time in the role.
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So if you help us do the right thing for our customers, we’ll help further your career at Nationwide. As well as your salary, there’s life assurance, a pension and a recognition and rewards scheme. We think it’s a great place to work, and we’re not afraid of giving you praise when you’ve done well.