UNIX Infrastructure Support Specialist
- Location Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary £35,309 - £51,002
- Contract type Permanent
- Closing date 25/10/2018
- Ref R001900705
An exciting opportunity has arisen in our Hosting Services technical infrastructure team, providing production support for UNIX based systems. Working within a team you will be involved in both reactive and proactive support solving technical problems and providing expert advice to both technical and business areas to assist in the resolution and prevention of service impacting issues.
Who we're looking for
You will be a self-motivated IT professional with experience in a 2nd line IT support role, have excellent communication skills, and the ability to articulate risks and issues as well as manage stakeholders and their expectations.
You would have had experience of working in a technical team, providing incident resolution, with the ability to identify, plan, implement and lead proactive system enhancements to ensure efficient running of the Society’s technical infrastructure.
As a minimum requirement you’ll:
• Be educated to an A-Level or equivalent standard; degree level preferred
• Experience of working with one or more of the following operating systems;
o IBM AIX
o Red Hat Enterprise Linux
o Oracle Solaris
It would be nice if you also had:
• Experience/knowledge of Red Hat Satellite 6 and Puppet
• Experience/knowledge of Red Hat Openshift Enterprise 3 deployment and administration.
• Experience/knowledge of Docker and Containers-as-a-Service in a Linux environment.
• Knowledge of the underlying hardware/Hypervisor – Oracle, Cisco UCS, IBM Power and VMWare.
• Experience/knowledge of UNIX security hardening.
• UNIX shell scripting.
• Experience working in a similar sized organisation.
What you'll be doing
• Unix / Linux administration, with continual monitoring of a wide variety of production systems in line with the Service Level Agreement.
• All aspects of systems administration, with patching, backups, support & performance tuning playing a key part.
• Work with 3rd party support organisations where appropriate to progress issues.
• Proactively develop and improve processes to drive service improvement.
• You might need to take part in an on-call support rota.
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So if you help us do the right thing for our members, we’ll help further your career with us.
As part of our team you’ll get:
• Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
• Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• 24 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
• The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
• Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
• Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme