Analyst - 6 Week Fixed Term Contract
- Location Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary £14,912 - £21,540
- Contract type Fixed Term Contract
- Closing date 22/06/2018
- Ref R002500032
• A Data Analyst – The Analytics Practice; Data & Analytics Community
• 6 week fixed term contract
• Salary- £1731 for the 6 week period plus benefits on a 35 hour a week contract
• Send in your application by 22nd June 2018
The Analytics Practice in a data led community provides analytic solutions to all areas of the organisation from Proposition development, Financial Crime, Digital Strategy and Retail through to our Process Improvement functions. The content we deliver solves business problems through effective use of data to enable improved services, products and customer experience as well as efficiency and profitability of the society.
Data is becoming our most valuable asset and there has never been a more exciting time to develop and use your analytical and data science skills. Nationwide are investing heavily in our data and analytics capabilities to help drive value for our members and support the society strategy and aspirations. The Analytics Practice will be central to this transformation.
Who we're looking for
We’re looking for a data analyst, on a journey to become a data scientist, to join a team of people passionate about driving value from data. You’ll have the opportunity to create analytic solutions to solve business problems across the organisation, support data-driven decision making and bring real value to members. This role aims to generate statistical models and intelligent insight to improve the society in terms of our products, services and member experience as well as our productivity and efficiency as an organisation.
To achieve this, we are looking for a highly motivated, enthusiastic and proactive analyst that will bring fresh ideas and methods to the current team
• Have a grasp of statistical concepts on course to obtain a maths, statistics or numerate degree.
• Have experience working with R.
• Have a logical and inquisitive mind set.
• Possess a willingness to learn new techniques and methodology.
• Be comfortable working in an environment where results aren’t always certain.
• Demonstrate evidence of compelling story telling.
• Have excellent time management and organisational skills.
• Be comfortable working both alone and within a team.
• Have excellent communication skills, be good at building relationships and influencing across all levels in the organisation.
• Be innovative, creative and agile, developing and championing new ideas, spotting opportunities, and learning fast along the way.
It would be ideal if you also:
• Have an understanding/awareness of advanced statistical techniques (neural networks, clustering)
• Have experience in the collection and processing of raw data
What you'll be doing
The role will involve working across different communities to understand the difficulties they currently face and identify areas of improvement. This will lead you to the development of new analytics use cases for the team to deliver. You will be working collaboratively with the advanced analytics team, data engineering team and business stakeholders to understand the data we have available and how it can be used to support use case delivery. You will be working with the team to create machine learning/statistical models using a variety of tools with the aim of delivering an implementable solution for the business.
As the role will involve creating new and innovative solutions for the business to adopt, it is important that you are able to build strong working relationships with stakeholders and tell a compelling story to support the delivery of your outputs. You will also be expected to showcase the success stories of the team to demonstrate the art of the possible.
As part of the Analytics Practice that sits within our Data & Analytics community, your focus will be engaging business stakeholders to understand their key business challenges, identifying where analytics can help, building high quality trusted analysis/models, and then delivering the outputs in compelling business terms to underpin the successful delivery of business strategies.
The data you use will be varied and multi-faceted, and the insights you generate along the way will prove invaluable. We are constantly looking to utilise more varied structured, semi-structured and unstructured data sources to bring additional dimensions and considerations into our analysis, and a key part of your role will be seeking out those sources and spotting opportunities to drive value from them.
Nationwide is currently investing in implementing a new Big Data platform based on Hortonworks Hadoop, Teradata and Open Source tooling. We’ll use this technology to develop a strong data science capability and you will be at the forefront of early adopters looking to embrace and grow this capability in order to deliver new, innovative insight into our business.
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So if you help us do the right thing for our customers, we’ll help further your career at Nationwide. As well as your salary, there’s life assurance, a pension and a recognition and rewards scheme. We think it’s a great place to work, and we’re not afraid of giving you praise when you’ve done well.