Data Engineering Lead
- Location Swindon Head Office, South West England
- £53,694 - £87,253
- Contract type Permanent
- Closing date 30/03/2018
- Ref R002500015
• Data Engineering Lead in our head office in Swindon
• Salary £53,694- £87,253 a year (dependent on current salary and banding) based on a permanent, 35 hours per week contract plus company car or cash allowance
• Send in your application by 30th March 2018
We’re moving forward into the next chapter of our Society’s history with a refreshed strategy that allows us to leverage the benefits of mutuality and adapt to the ever-changing needs of our members. Data underpins this and all five of our cornerstones and is a great enabler towards achieving our ambition of building society, nationwide. We’re transforming the way we collect, look after and use member and business data, and that is why we’re creating new roles as important step in strengthening the data competence we need to realise the opportunity that data presents for our members and colleagues.
The Data & Analytics community is responsible for transforming our data and analytics capability to enable our colleagues to better serve our members’ needs. Within the community, the Data and Analytics Solutions team is responsible for the design, engineering, test and deployment of our data platforms and solutions which are at the core of our strategic ambitions. We’re significantly expanding and strengthening our inhouse teams and working closely with key strategic partners to deliver our strategic ambitions.
An exciting opportunity has now arisen to join the growing Data Solutions team as the Data Engineering Lead. You’ll be joining us at an exciting time and will have a huge opportunity to help shape our community as we expand our operations and deliver our strategy.
Who we're looking for
As a minimum requirement, you’ll have:
• Be typically educated to degree level with significant proven experience in leading data engineering teams in a reporting and analytics environment using relevant technologies
• Have proven experience at a senior level in a data engineering role with multiple objectives and clients.
• Line management experience of directly managing teams operating at specialist/management level as well as matrix management, contract and off-shore resource.
• Extensive experience of hybrid lake and data warehouse architectures and open source technologies.
• Extensive financial services experience.
• Proven strong leadership skills with the ability to work and deliver to fixed timescales.
• Advanced influencing skills with the ability to manage challenges and priorities across a number of critical priorities.
• Have proven ability to communicate and influence at all levels and engage confidently with Senior Executives.
• Excellent relationship and stakeholder management skills
It would be nice if you also had:
• Experience in Teradata, Informatica and Hadoop.
• Some knowledge of Microsoft/SQL
What you'll be doing
Reporting to the Director of Data & Analytics Solutions, your role will be to develop and lead data engineering for our Big Data Lake and our warehouses to transform Nationwide’s reporting and analytics capabilities in line with both the Data & Analytics Strategy and the IT Strategy whilst continuing to meet the regulatory and business demand. The role will build and lead a team of specialist data engineers to ensure successful delivery of both complex strategic IT and smaller change programmes.
Key accountabilities will be:-
• Leading the Data Engineering (Lake and Warehouses) team to transform Nationwide’s data and analytics capabilities aligned to the Data & Analytics and IT strategy.
• To establish and develop an engineering capability and knowledge base to efficiently engineer data on the strategic big data and data warehouse and the legacy data warehouses to support the reporting and analytical demands from both the Data and Analytics and the wider Society strategies.
• Line management of up to 50 direct reports and responsible for contract, supplier, practice resource quality and compliance (on-shore and offshore, up to an additional 150 resources).
• Ensuring effective use of tools, methods, people and data across the development and test lifecycle.
• Deliver a complex portfolio of regulatory change, transformation IT change, small change and support and maintenance deliveries to support the societies transformation agenda
• To provide accessible, integrated and timely data sets to fulfil enterprise wide data analytics, reporting, self-service and ad-hoc data analysis
• Cost management of delivery through multiple development team
• To develop and maintain relationships with suppliers and external organisations to optimise delivery effectiveness and ensure that Nationwide retain access to the best external advice and benefits from the widest view of industry best practice
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So, if you help us do the right thing for our members, we’ll help further your career with us.
As part of our team you’ll get:
• Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
• Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• 30 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
• The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
• Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
• Access to a Healthcare scheme
• Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
• Company car or allowance worth £4,656 a year