- Location Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary £50,840 - £73,436
- Contract type Permanent
- Closing date 31/07/2018
- Ref R002500044
• A Data Manager in our head office in Swindon
• Salary- £50,337- £72,709 a year (dependent on current salary and banding) based on a permanent, 35 hours per week contract plus company car or cash allowance
• Send in your application by 31st July
We’re moving forward into the next chapter of our Society’s history with a refreshed strategy that allows us to leverage the benefits of mutuality and adapt to the ever-changing needs of our members. Data underpins this and all five of our cornerstones and is a great enabler towards achieving our ambition of building society, nationwide. We’re transforming the way we collect, look after and use member and business data, and that is why we’re creating new roles as important step in strengthening the data competence we need to realise the opportunity that data presents for our members and colleagues.
The Data & Analytics community is responsible for transforming our data and analytics capability to enable our colleagues to better serve our members’ needs. Within the community, the Data and Analytics Solutions team is responsible for the design, engineering, test and deployment of our data platforms and solutions which are at the core of our strategic ambitions. We’re significantly expanding and strengthening our inhouse teams and working closely with key strategic partners to deliver our strategic ambitions.
An exciting opportunity has now arisen to lead the Data Labs team as a Data Manager ensuring our labs capability is set up for success. This is a new capability supporting the wider Data & Analytics Community to deliver data solutions for the business in an agile, flexible, fast paced approach utilising our Big Data platform. You will be responsible for a small team ensuring delivery of value add use cases for the society utilising a number of Big Data technologies.
This role will focus on delivering reporting and analytical solutions onto the data lake which currently resides on our Hadoop big data appliance, setting up an enduring in-house data lab engineering capability and helping drive the onwards data strategy.
Combining accountabilities for delivery, continuous improvement and building an in-house capability, this exciting new role will provide the opportunity to work with key stakeholders from across the business, working alongside industry leading vendors and help shape and drive the next phase of the strategy execution.
Who we're looking for
As a minimum requirement, you’ll :
• Have demonstrated strong leadership skills in a number of roles, with significant experience of driving a culture of high performance teams
• Be able to evidence experience of formal gated methodologies for project delivery and of delivering enterprise wide projects
• Possess strong technical skills in a broad range of industry standard ETL and transformation technologies
• Have strong knowledge of the full Information Management lifecycle and of implementing and embedding data governance principles within a data management change controlled environment.
• Have excellent communication skills with a track record for delivering results whilst having proven ability to influence at all levels
• Have experience of managing small to medium sized teams both from a direct line management and matrix management perspective with experience of managing projects
It would be nice if you also had:
• A technical or numerate degree
• Data Engineering or Warehousing experience
• Agile methodology knowledge
What you'll be doing
As part of the Data & Analytics Solutions team, you will have a key role in delivering our data labs capability including data provision, quality and validation.
As a manager of the data labs team, you will have responsibility for aspects of Nationwide’s data solutions to load and prepare data for the analytical teams across the society delivering insight to our members while ensuring the data is complete and accurate. This will be carried out on our Big Data platform.
Key accountabilities will be:-
• Ownership of the data lab processes to ensure that our data solutions are cutting-edge, efficient and effective meeting the business need
• Conform to our agreed change control standards
• Influencing change within data and analytical solutions by leading both the future requirements of business users and the long-term vision for in-house improvements
• Owning the co-ordination of activities with other business areas to provide them with data management solutions by ensuring that effective relationships are built and maintained during periods of conflicting priorities.
• Directing the team with a long-term vision including project planning and communication of progress to ensure that we deliver against the team’s objectives
• Be a strong leader with a deep technical understanding as you will be required to setup and lead a team of data engineers alongside setting the data lab vision
• Influencing Nationwide’s data and analytical solutions strategy to ensure that they remain at the leading edge in this field by researching new techniques and technologies
• Managing a team of engineers creating a culture of high performance and delivering PRIDE behaviours in day-to-day activities
• Have excellent stakeholder management and influencing skills
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So, if you help us do the right thing for our members, we’ll help further your career with us.
As part of our team you’ll get:
• Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
• Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• 24 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
• The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
• Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
• Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
• Company car or allowance worth £4,656 a year