- Location Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary £50,840 - £73,436
- Contract type Permanent
- Closing date 28/02/2019
- Ref R002500096
• Data Scientist – The Analytics Practice; Data & Analytics Community.
• £50,840 to £73,436 per annum plus bonus and benefits on a permanent, 35 hour contract.
• Send in your application by 28th February 2019
The Analytics Hub sits in a new data led community and provides analytic and data science-based solutions to all areas of the organisation from Proposition Development, Financial Crime, Digital Strategy and Retail through to our Process Improvement functions. Our content solves real business problems through advanced and innovative uses of data to improve services, products and customer experience as well as drive efficiency and profitability of the Society.
Our central Data Science capability works with teams across Nationwide in areas such as Marketing & Engagement, Fraud and Credit Risk.
Data is our most valuable asset and there has never been a more exciting time to use and build your analytical and data science skills in a fast paced and dynamic environment. Nationwide are investing heavily in our data and analytics capabilities and people to help drive value for our members and support the Society’s strategy and aspirations. The Analytics Practice is central to creating this transformation.
Who we're looking for
We’re looking for data scientists with a specialism in analytics, to join a team of people passionate about innovating and driving value from data. You’ll have the opportunity to create solutions to solve some of the most challenging business problems across the organisation, support data-driven decision making and bring real value to our members. We are aiming to generate actionable machine learning models and intelligent insight to improve the Society in terms of our products, services and member experience as well as drive our productivity and efficiency as an organisation.
To achieve this, we are looking for an enthusiastic and proactive data scientist that will bring fresh ideas and methods to the current team.
As a minimum, you’ll:
• Be a great communicator and adept at telling a story with data, be good at building relationships and influencing across all levels in the organisation.
• Be a fluent communicator at explaining model choice and implementations.
• Experience with databases and using SQL as well as processing unstructured data
• Have expertise using Python/R
• Have a Masters or PhD in maths, statistics, computer science or physics, Economics or other related field.
• Have knowledge of linear algebra, high order statistics and machine learning algorithms such as Support Vector Machines, Random Forest, Artificial Neural networks
• Hadoop, PySpark, Natural Language Processing or Deep learning experience would be beneficial
• Experience interpreting outputs of models and building visualizations to depict your interpretations
• Have completed end to end analytical pieces of work, bringing the output to life through compelling story telling to ensure business adoption.
• Be innovative, creative and agile, developing and championing new ideas, spotting opportunities, and learning fast along the way.
• Experience of SAS EM, VA/VS would be beneficial
• Experience of productionising models would be beneficial
What you'll be doing
You will be working within the centre of excellence of a hub-and-spoke data science model, the role will involve collaborating with different communities to understand the difficulties they currently face and identify areas for improvement. This will lead you to develop new analytics use cases for the team to deliver. You will be working collaboratively with the data engineering teams and business stakeholders to understand the data we have available and how it can be used to support use case delivery. You will be working within the Agile framework to create machine learning/statistical models using a variety of tools with the aim of delivering implementable solutions for the business.
This role involves building and strengthening relationships with diverse stakeholders across the Society. It is important that you are comfortable working with senior business leaders, creating compelling data driven stories to support your outputs and findings. This includes showcasing our successes within Data & Analytics community to demonstrate the art of the possible. The demand for innovation and analytics across the organisation is ever increasing and you will have significant scope to grow with the role.
As part of the Analytics Practice that sits within our Data & Analytics community, your focus will be engaging business stakeholders to understand their key business challenges, identifying where analytics can help, building high quality trusted analysis/models, and then delivering the outputs in compelling business terms to underpin the successful delivery of our business strategy.
The data you use will be varied and multi-faceted, and the insights you generate along the way will prove invaluable. We are constantly looking to utilise more varied structured, semi-structured and unstructured data sources to bring additional dimensions and considerations into our analysis, and a key part of your role will be seeking out those sources and spotting opportunities to drive value.
Nationwide is currently investing in implementing a new Big Data platform based on Hortonworks Hadoop, Teradata and Open Source tooling. We’ll use this technology to develop a strong data science capability and you will be at the forefront of early adopters looking to embrace and grow this capability in order to deliver new, innovative insight into our business.
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So if you help us do the right thing for our customers, we’ll help further your career at Nationwide. As well as your salary, there’s life assurance, a pension and a recognition and rewards scheme. We think it’s a great place to work, and we’re not afraid of giving you praise when you’ve done well.