- Location Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary £34,960 - £50,497
- Contract type Permanent
- Closing date 30/05/2018
- Ref R002500027
• Text Specialist – The Analytics Practice; Data & Analytics Community.
• £34,960 to £50,497 per annum plus bonus and benefits on a permanent 35 hour contract.
• Send in your application by 30th May 2018
The Analytics Practice in a data led community provides analytic solutions to all areas of the organisation from Proposition development, Financial Crime, Digital Strategy and Retail through to our Process Improvement functions. The content we deliver solves business problems through effective use of data to enable improved services, products and customer experience as well as efficiency and profitability of the society.
Data is becoming our most valuable asset and there has never been a more exciting time to develop and use your analytical and data science skills. Nationwide are investing heavily in our data and analytics capabilities to help drive value for our members and support the society strategy and aspirations. The Analytics Practice will be central to this transformation.
Who we're looking for
We’re looking for a Text Specialist to build a society-wide capability to analyse text data. Text data is currently underutilised within the society and we have an opportunity to gain real insight from it.
This is a new role where you’ll help shape how we can best use this new technology/ methodology in the society to bring real value to members and to gain insight all across the society.
This role is a little different to the traditional insight analyst role as the aim of the text team isn’t to produce insight packs but to integrate text analysis into BAU with little intervention.
In order to achieve this we’re looking for an enthusiastic analyst with an awareness of new technology and the potential advanced analytics, machine learning and AI can bring to the society.
Practically we’re looking for an analyst who has the following skills and experience:
As a minimum, you’ll:
• Have a grasp of statistical concepts with either an A-level in maths or a numerate degree.
• Logical and inquisitive mind set.
• Willingness to learn new techniques and methodology.
• Comfortable working in environment where results aren’t always certain
• Experience in working across different communities
• Completed end to end analytical pieces of work, bringing the output to life through compelling story telling to ensure business adoption.
• Have excellent communication skills, be good at building relationships and influencing across all levels in the organisation.
• Be innovative, creative and agile, developing and championing new ideas, spotting opportunities, and learning fast along the way.
• Beneficially will have exposure to python and data warehousing technologies.
It would be nice if you:
• An understanding/awareness of advanced statistical techniques (neural networks, clustering) would be advantageous but not essential.
What you'll be doing
Initially the role will be to work with different communities to build linguistic rules to assist with the understanding of text data. These rules are informed by the combination of business knowledge, and through the text analytics tool. Creating rules or interpreting the results from the text tool isn’t an exact science so you’ll have to use informed judgement to decide on the correct level of accuracy needed to solve the business question. It is expected that text projects will increase in complexity as we build the capability. The analytics cases will evolve by using open source tools to provide insight with limited human intervention. Therefore you’ll be expected to grow with the role.
You’ll be part of an advanced analytics team which is responsible for answering Nationwide’s big questions using machine learning, computational statistical techniques, and deep learning. The focus of the role is to provide insight for business stakeholders to answer their key challenges.
As part of the Analytics Practice that sits within our Data & Analytics community, your focus will be engaging business stakeholders to understand their key business challenges, identifying where analytics can help, building high quality trusted analysis/models, and then delivering the outputs in compelling business terms to underpin the successful delivery of business strategies.
The data you use will be varied and multi-faceted, and the insights you generate along the way will prove invaluable. We are constantly looking to utilise more varied structured, semi-structured and unstructured data sources to bring additional dimensions and considerations into our analysis, and a key part of your role will be seeking out those sources and spotting opportunities to drive value from them.
Nationwide is currently investing in implementing a new Big Data platform based on Hortonworks Hadoop, Teradata and Open Source tooling. We’ll use this technology to develop a strong data science capability and you will be at the forefront of early adopters looking to embrace and grow this capability in order to deliver new, innovative insight into our business.
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So if you help us do the right thing for our customers, we’ll help further your career at Nationwide. As well as your salary, there’s life assurance, a pension and a recognition and rewards scheme. We think it’s a great place to work, and we’re not afraid of giving you praise when you’ve done well.