Redhat Linux Specialist
- Location Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary £41,951 - £60,596
- Contract type Permanent
- Closing date 31/05/2018
- Ref R001900556
- RedHat Linux Specialists in both our Operational and Project teams, based at our head offices in Swindon.
- Salary £41,951 - £60,596 a year (dependent on skills, experience and current remuneration), based on a permanent, 35 hour week contract.
- Please send in your applications by 31st May 2018
A number of exciting opportunities have arisen in our Hosting Services and Infrastructure Development teams for individuals with deep technical knowledge of Red Hat Linux based architectures.
Focusing on either operational support or project delivery, you will be expected to work to tight deadlines with minimal supervision and you will be responsible for Linux systems maintenance/integration/deployment in a fast paced, innovative financial services environment.
We are implementing a DevOps delivery mechanism driving a focus on infrastructure as code, so automation will be key to our future. This is a great opportunity to gain exposure to state of the art processes and tools, offering significant career development in both technical and leadership arenas.
Who we're looking for
You will understand how to work within a large enterprise environment and will have a working knowledge of ITIL and project management methodologies. You should be capable of recommending process improvements based on identified risks and recurrent issues.
You will be self-motivated, flexible, hungry to drive change, and demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to successful project or service delivery.
Good communication & time management skills combined with a friendly professional attitude will be essential. Experience working within a Financial Services background would be desirable.
As a minimum requirement you’ll have technical experience working with:
- In depth knowledge of RedHat Enterprise Server 6 and 7
- Previous experience with Docker, Openshift 3, Satellite 6, Ansible, Puppet
- Scripting skills: bash shell
- Windows Security including Active Directory, Group Policy and Certificate Management
- Understanding of IP addressing, routing, firewall rules, DNS, DHCP, Load balancing
- Knowledge of the underlying hardware/Hypervisor – Oracle, Cisco UCS and VMWare.
It would be highly advantageous if you also had experience with any of the following;
- Familiarity with Linux patching and package management using RPM/yum
- DevOps tools: Jenkins, Gerrit, SonarCube etc.
- Solaris 10 and 11 including Zone administration and ZFS
- Other Linux/Unix flavours e.g. AIX
- ServiceNow exposure
- ITIL Exposure/qualifications
- Experience/knowledge of UNIX security hardening.
- UNIX shell scripting.
- Experience/knowledge of APIGee Edge deployment and administration.
What you'll be doing
You will be a member of a team whose function is either to automate and integrate Linux/Unix based infrastructure components as part of large business transformation programs, or to maintain service and provide operational support for Linux/Unix production systems. You will be expected to interact with other internal teams, development centres, and 3rd parties on a daily basis. There will be ample opportunity to cross train in Windows and other Unix platforms if so desired, as well as significant learning opportunities for new and evolving technologies.
Hosting Services (Operations)
You will be expected to maintain service levels through the day to day administration of Linux/Unix production environments. This will include monitoring, patching, backup and performance tuning. You will be expected to respond to, and resolve incidents should they occur within agreed business SLA’s, so excellent troubleshooting skills are critical. You will be part of an on-call rota (for which there is additional remuneration) which will require you to be available out of normal office hours.
Infrastructure Development (Projects)
You will be expected to ensure project tasks are completed on time, to the appropriate quality standard and meet regulatory requirements, whilst ensuring appropriate support documentation is completed and updated. Project tasks will consist of building, testing and automating Linux infrastructure components, with appropriate handover to operational teams for ongoing support. You will be expected to interact with project structures, development centres, and 3rd parties on a daily basis. There will be ample opportunity to cross train in Windows and other Unix platforms if so desired, as well as significant learning opportunities for new and evolving technologies.
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So if you help us do the right thing for our members, we’ll help further your career with us.
As part of our team you’ll get:
- Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
- Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- 24 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
- The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
- Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
- Access to a Healthcare scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme