- Location Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary Competitive
- Contract type Permanent
- Closing date 07/06/2018
- Ref R001900235
Nationwide’s landscape is undergoing major architectural transformation and re-engineering as we embark on a programme to introduce and exploit open banking and set ourselves up to service the anticipated explosion in payments traffic. Using DevOps and exploitation of cloud based technologies will be essential in providing our customers with world class customer service. In addition, we are also streamlining our technology stack, with a view to retiring some of our heritage systems.
Increasing performance and resilience is paramount to our strategy in providing a 24/7 platforms to our customers. In addition, increased regulatory change, combined with higher cadence of business change requires us to provide increased flexibility in the design and implementation of our front line systems.
- Location: Based at our Head Office in Swindon
- Salary: Negotiable, dependent on skills, experience and current package
- Contract: Full time, permanent opportunity, 35 hours a week
At Nationwide we believe in putting our members’ needs first and are looking for individuals up-to-date with the latest developments in their fields, who strive to improve member experience through industry leading design, technical excellence and best practice.
Who we're looking for
We are looking for a number of Technical Architects/Engineers across several areas who can play a key part in designing Nationwide’s current and future strategic Platforms. These roles will involve designing complex integration solutions across Windows, Unix, BizTalk, SAP and cloud based technologies.
You’ll have experience working for an organisation that operates a complex technical portfolio with multiple objectives.
You might currently be an experienced systems developer or technical analyst working as a systems engineer or technical architect. Ideally with a background in financial services (although this is not essential), with exposure to payment, financial or banking systems and card based environments, but key to this is your ability to work at pace in a challenging environment.
What experience you should have…
- Experience in designing complex integration solutions
- Experience in non-functional design is essential with particular emphasis on resilience, security and performance
- Background in development is desirable
- Background in design is essential
- Experience in financial systems is desirable though not essential
- Background in Windows/Unix system development is desirable although Nationwide has a very diverse technology landscape
- Background in any of the following is desirable… cloud based solutions, web development, SAP, API development, ESB’s, SoA, BizTalk
- Familiarity with UML is desirable, particularly in the Rational toolset
- Experience in designing solutions for third party development partners is desirable
- Experience of working in Agile/DevOps teams is desirable
What you'll be doing
- Have strong stakeholder management & engagement skills, effective at all levels
- Early lifecycle involvement working with Architects and Business Analysts helping to shape solutions from the outset of a project
- Production of High Level Designs and/or Detailed Designs, covering functional and non-functional design
- Technical leadership and oversight of detailed analysis & design and subsequent development
- Design consultancy to all disciplines at all stages of the software lifecycle
- Leading and participating in workshops, design walkthroughs and critical design reviews
- Production and reviewing of design and build estimates
- Mentoring and coaching junior members of staff
- Setting standards, authoring design patterns, providing design governance and contributing to process improvement
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So if you help us do the right thing for our members, we’ll help further your career with us.
As part of our team you’ll get:
- Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
- Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- 24 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
- The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
- Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
- Access to a Healthcare scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme