Software Engineers - System Integration
- Location Swindon, South West England
- Salary Competitive
- Contract type Permanent
- Closing date 20/01/2019
- Ref R001900784
At Nationwide, we are no longer focusing on the traditional enterprise or N-Tier architectural thinking of financial services. Instead we’re looking at what some of the biggest tech companies in the world are doing to solve the huge complexities of massive scale user driven systems.
This means we are embarking on a new chapter in our architectural thinking, and focusing on concepts of event streams or event driven architectures. We’re looking to utilise technologies such as Apache Kafka, NoSQL Databases and Microservices to build elastically scaling systems capable of handlings hundreds of thousands of events per second.
To achieve this, we are looking to recruit a new team of Engineers who have proven experience in coding and DevOps. Who are agile thinkers and are ready to learn new technologies and architectures. For us, it’s not just about having the right technical background, you need to have an open mind, be able to work collaboratively and be driven to learn and succeed.
- Based at our Head Office in Swindon. Just an hour from London by train, with a generous relocation package available
- Salary (based on a 35-hour working week) to reflect experience.
- Full-time, permanent job with clear pathways to further development and promotion.
Who we're looking for
If you’ve had experience of some of the following, or similar, we’d like to hear from you.
- Significant programming experience.
- Responsible for the design, build and test of code including writing automated test suites.
- Working in Agile and/or DevOps driven environments.
- Experience of working with different architectures, such as Enterprise, cloud, N-Tier, Event Streaming or Microservices.
- Understanding or experience of working with container technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes or OpenShift.
- Experience of working with NoSQL databases such as MongoDB, Cassandra, CosmosDB, DynamoDB or Redis.
- Any previous experience of Apache Kafka would be very beneficial but not essential.
- Knowledge of infrastructure, security and cloud would also be beneficial.
- The ability and mindset to quickly learn new and emerging technologies and apply them to create new solutions is essential.
What you'll be doing
You’ll be at the frontline, delivering our vision to our members by designing, building and testing systems used by millions every day. You’ll be given the opportunity to work with the most up-to-date technologies to deliver real change.
You’ll make valuable contributions to your team and lead by example, logging issues as they are discovered, developing solutions in a highly collaborative environment, and implementing them with your team. With end-to-end ownership, development and deployment you’ll be given a platform to lead by example.
That’s our mindset and our culture: we want you to nurture and value proactive habits and to develop contacts and relationships so things are done faster and more efficiently. We’ll expect you to get stuck in and have a go, knowing that sometimes to fail fast is to learn fast.
The extras you'll get
We aim to give our people a good work-life balance, so you’ll receive your schedule in advance, helping you to organise your life. We show our support through the recognition and rewards scheme we offer:
- Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
- Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- 24 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
- The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
- Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
- Access to an annual, performance related bonus scheme