Senior Company Secretary
- Location UK Wide, London Area
- Salary Competitive
- Contract type Permanent
- Closing date 19/12/2018
- Ref R001600017
- Two qualified Senior Company Secretaries based either Swindon or London (with travel between sites as required)
- Reporting to the Director of Secretariat
- Competitive 6 figure Package
- Full time, permanent contract
- Application close date is 19th December 2018 however, first interviews will commence early December
We are looking to recruit two senior roles to strengthen and develop our Secretariat function and to support the Board’s strategic direction by promoting best practice governance and company secretarial standards.
We are building a forward-looking function with a learning and development culture that is pro-active and innovative to ensure we live up to Nationwide’s values of doing the right thing in the right way, not only at a Board level but Society-wide.
Responsible for advising on a broad range of matters, Secretariat supports the Board and Executive in discharging their duties and compliance obligations and promotes best practice governance standards across Nationwide and its subsidiary entities.
Our mutual model is our point of difference which gives us a unique advantage over our competitors. We are the world’s largest building society and we hold a unique place on the UK high street. We have over 15 million members, 17,000 employees and are the equivalent size to a top 75 FTSE listed company. Our aim is to be the UK’s first choice for financial services, offering a meaningful alternative to the established banks.
Who we're looking for
As a minimum, we need someone who is a qualified Company Secretary/Governance Professional with ACIS/FCIS. We are also looking for someone who possesses:
- Significant post-qualification experience of working in a Secretariat function at a senior level in a similar sized organisation.
- A strong working knowledge and practical understanding of corporate compliance, governance and company secretarial practice.
- Experience of the financial services sector with an appreciation of the regulatory environment in which Nationwide operates.
- Good understanding of governance related issues in the context of mutuality.
- An ability and willingness to exercise judgment and challenge the status quo.
- An ability to advise and influence the most senior individuals in the Society at Board and Executive level.
- The credibility to stand in for the Society Secretary or Director of Secretariat as required.
- The ability to lead, develop and coach team members to deliver a full professional service.
- Strong influencing skills and an understanding of best practice requirements.
What you'll be doing
You’ll provide specialist advice and support to the board on a range of corporate governance and company secretarial matters. You’ll help facilitate decision making, acting as a point of reference and escalation point. You’ll be a dedicated Secretary to specific Board and Management Committees working with the chairs of committees to ensure timely and effective running of meetings including ensuring an effective information flow and timely, accurate minutes. You’ll need to demonstrate a sound understanding of what good looks like in the context of governance.
Other responsibilities include
- Deputise for the Director of Secretariat
- Developing and maintaining a high performing team with a reputation for providing industry leading secretarial support.
- Keeping abreast of emerging best practice and initiatives and overseeing the team’s learning and development needs.
- Act as ambassador, raising Nationwide’s profile as an exemplar of best practice by representing the Society at industry/professional conferences and working groups.
The two roles will each share responsibility for supporting the Director of Secretariat in managing and developing the Secretariat function. In addition, they will each take primary responsibility for management of one of the following teams within the department:
- Governance and Standards including Board Support and the Society’s Governance Framework.
- Corporate, including responsibility for advising on the Society’s obligations in relation to its standard listing on the London Stock Exchange and statutory compliance in relation to its subsidiary portfolio.
As part of the recruitment process we request you to submit a CV and covering letter supporting your application highlighting your relevant skills and experience.
Please note we are also recruiting for an Assistant Company Secretary, more details can be found on our website: www.nationwide-jobs.co.uk
The extras you'll get
When you help us do the right thing for our members we want to reward you. As well as your salary, additional benefits include 30 days’ holiday (on top of bank holidays), an executive car or cash allowance, a competitive pension or cash alternative, private healthcare for your family plus executive health screening every 2 years, life assurance and the opportunity to participate in Sharing in Success, our Society-wide, all employee variable pay plan. You can also tailor your reward package by taking advantage of a range of flexible benefits.