Senior Counsel - Payments
- Location Central London, London Area
- Salary Competitive
- Contract type Permanent
- Closing date 25/12/2018
- Ref R001600019
- We need a Senior Counsel to advise on Payments and Digital related matters on retail accounts based either in Nationwide House, Swindon or Threadneedle Street, London.
- Competitive salary plus benefits.
- Closing date 25th of December 2018.
Who we're looking for
You’ll need to:
- Be an England & Wales qualified solicitor or barrister with strong academic and private practice credentials and/or in-house experience, gained within the financial services sector.
- Have expertise in, and extensive experience of advising on, payments on retail accounts within the financial services industry, which we would expect to include digital and Open Banking related matters.
- Have a good understanding of relevant law, e.g. the Payments Services Regulations and Consumer Rights Act, and the legal and regulatory frameworks for UK financial services.
- Be someone who can inspire and motivate the people who work with you.
- Be able to build relationships across the business and become a trusted advisor, providing expert, commercially pragmatic, timely, succinct and cost-effective legal advice.
- Be able to consider matters from different perspectives, thinking beyond a narrow legal analysis and about whether something is right and fair for Nationwide’s members.
It would be nice if you also had:
- Experience of advising on current accounts would be beneficial but is not essential.
What you'll be doing
You’ll be a senior lawyer in the Retail Legal team supporting the Payments and Digital business area and the Product & Propositions community (particularly current accounts), providing advice on all the legal issues, risks and developments on payments related matters, projects and initiatives. In doing so, you’ll work closely with other lawyers in the team and often as the lead lawyer on projects.
You’ll use your expertise to help draft legal documentation such as terms and conditions and advise on the compliance of customer journeys, customer facing materials and communications in different distribution channels. You’ll also support the development of new products, services and processes, including those connected to Open Banking.
You’ll keep an eye on what’s on the horizon by monitoring any changes in legislation, regulation and the wider market. Using that knowledge and insight, you’ll help shape our processes, products and ensure our policies, procedures and literature evolve in line with changing requirements. You’ll anticipate where future legal problems and issues are most likely to arise and devise effective controls to mitigate them.
You’ll have a real influence in how our products and services are shaped for members, right at the heart of Nationwide and our strategy.
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So if you help us do the right thing for our members, we’ll help further your career with us.
As part of our team you’ll get:
• Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
• Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• 30 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
• The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
• Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
• Access to a Healthcare scheme
• Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
• Company car or allowance worth £4,656