Data Scientist - Marketing & Engagement
- Location Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary £50,840 - £73,346
- Contract type Permanent
- Closing date 14/09/2018
- Ref R001800126
- A Data Scientist based at our head offices in Swindon
- £50,840 - £73,436 a year dependent on skills and experience
- Full time permanent contract
- Please send in your application by 21/08/2018
At Nationwide we’re passionate about understanding our members. The Data Science Team within our Marketing & Engagement Community, is responsible for defining and implementing advanced analytical techniques using ‘state of the art’ big data tools in a big data environment. You’ll work with stakeholders across the business to identify and unlock value on a learn fast/fail fast basis, and influence business decisions to improve the experience of our members.
This role forms part of one ‘spoke’ of the data scientist expertise that we have placed within our society. You’ll work closely with the ‘hub’ (or central) data science team, sharing skills and resources where appropriate for the benefit of data science advancement within the society.
Who we're looking for
You’ll be an industry expert in ‘big data’ analytics, educated to master’s or PhD level in a relevant technical/scientific discipline e.g. maths, statistics, computer science or physics. An adaptable and highly organised individual, you’ll also be an experienced influencer with the ability to explain complex analytical solutions to senior stakeholders.
As a minimum you’ll:
- Have several years’ hands-on experience in the exploitation of data and the use of analytical and statistical techniques to understand and improve business performance
- Have applied analytical techniques such as path analysis, pattern detection, text analytics, statistical data mining (clustering, principle components) predictive modelling, attribution modelling, machine learning, network analytics, deep learning algorithms
- Have used multi-structured/semi-structured data sources and ‘big data’ technologies such as Hive, MapReduce/Hadoop, Spark etc.
- Be proficient in multiple data science languages such as SQL, Python, R
- Have prior experience of successfully engaging with business stakeholders to define use cases, developing appropriate analytical solutions and deriving business insights that drive action to set time lines
- Take complete ownership of use cases and consistently deliver high quality work
- Be a good team player with an analytical mind set
What you'll be doing
Based in our Marketing and Engagement community and working as part of a hub-and-spoke data science model, you’ll collaborate with a wide range of business teams. You’ll identify business requirements of stakeholders to ensure use cases are focused and appropriate data science techniques are applied to answer business problems.
Nationwide has invested in a new Big Data platform based on Hortonworks Hadoop, Teradata and Open Source tooling. You’ll use this technology to develop a strong data science capability and you will be at the forefront of early adopters looking to embrace and grow this capability in order to deliver new, innovative insight into the society.
- Identify use cases, define data requirements, create analytical plans, and implement solutions
- Distil the findings into a story with clear actionable insight that is relevant to the business and suggests appropriate next steps for implementation
- Design algorithms, models and prototype solutions using ‘big data’ analytical techniques to explore business hypothesis in an agile and iterative way which supports a learn fast/fail fast methodology
- Engage with stakeholders to ensure a deep understanding of data and business processes and information needs
- Prioritise analytical activity through agreement with stakeholders and potential business impact
- Ensure the development of processes, work standards and controls to ensure the efficient and accurate application of data science techniques
- Maintain up to date knowledge of trends in data science
- Identify weaknesses and opportunities in Nationwide’s approach and capabilities and take necessary steps to make improvements
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So if you help us do the right thing for our members, we’ll help further your career with us.
As part of our team you’ll get:
- Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
- Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- 24 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
- The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
- Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
- Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme