- Location: Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R001500544
- Closing Date: 24 September 2019
- A Senior Underwriter in our office in Swindon Head Office.
- £27,484 - £30,538 a year on a permanent full-time contract
- Salary dependant on current package and internal policy
- Send in your application by 24/09/2019
We are looking for an experienced underwriter who can complete holistic underwriting assessments against a set of principles on applications which are either on the border of the organisations risk appetite, that have been declined and appealed or that have not already passed credit scoring and can approve policy exceptions.
We need someone who doesn’t just follow a set of rules or standard operating procedures, instead they rely on their experience to carry out an independent review of the risks of an application and it’s impact to the organisation. This will include the assessment of all information available e.g. application level data, credit bureaux, income proofs, bank statements, reason for referral, valuation report, etc.
Who we're looking for
As a minimum requirement you’ll have or be:
- Able to investigate, identify and consider the risks associated with each application and apply the required guidelines combined with situational judgement to make lending decisions
- Able to show initiative and confidence to make decisions, including saying “no” to colleagues and third parties
- The ability to interpret financial information for example statements/accounts to support judgemental decisions
- The ability to self-motivate and thrive under pressure whilst maintaining accuracy and service standards
- The ability to assimilate information quickly and to apply well-reasoned and balanced judgement in arriving at a decision
- Evidence of negotiation and influencing skills
- Experience of proactively managing a pipeline of work
It would be nice if you also had:
- Proven mandate level within the Lending industry
- Understanding of regulatory landscape, DPA, Money Laundering, TCF, MCOB
- A CEMAP qualification
What you'll be doing
You’ll work across Secured and be making pragmatic decisions on higher risk lending applications that sit outside the automation process, by applying your risk lending mandate, knowledge and judgement skills to ensure that the applications are within our Risk appetite.
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So if you help us do the right thing for our members, we’ll help further your career with us.
As part of our team you’ll get:
- Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
- Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- 24 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
- The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
- Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
- Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
At Nationwide we’re here for our members and we put their needs first in everything we do. And now, more than ever, two things are helping us go from strength to strength: we put our customers first, and we’re known for being open, honest and trustworthy.
We’re also the world’s largest building society, with communities at the heart of everything we do. We aim to do the right thing for our members which helps set us apart from our competitors. But we need good people to help us do it. People who understand what we believe in and have the talent and drive to keep us successful.
Living our Values
There are endless reasons why you should be part of our growing community, but below are a few:
- The human element and sense of social purpose we have, and that no matter what role you do you are genuinely making a difference to our members and their lives
- The dress for the day approach we take, incorporating a relaxed and less corporate environment
- The ethic of care for employees, our engagement and events, investment in success e.g. Arthur Webb cup events, PRIDE rewards, Annual awards etc
- PRIDE and how we all live by it, we care about our people and value each and every employee that works for us
- Being able to bring your true self to work in a safe environment
- Our trustworthy reputation in the industry – safe as an employer, safe for our members
We have a strong ethic of care, and a genuine concern for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We are committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. If you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.