- Location: Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R001500553
- Closing Date: 26 September 2019
Do you enjoy working with data sets, making sense of them, pulling out trends and explaining them? If so, and you have a degree or experience working with data we’ll train you up and help you launch your career at Nationwide.
You will start your career spending a lot of time working with data, coding, producing MI and analysis. We mainly do this through SAS and export this into excel, but we can teach you the technical parts like SAS. So if you’re a graduate looking to start a career path in Risk, or if you currently work with data and want to develop further, then this could be the right next step for you.
- A Risk Analyst (based in our Head office in Swindon
- £25,421 - £28,000 a year on a permanent full time contract
- Salary package dependent on skills and experience
- Send in your application by 26/09/2019
This job helps us analyse and develop our lending strategies, essentially, we need to understand the risk of lending in different situations and that’s why we need your help analysing the data. We want our analysts to be the market leaders and help us continue to be commercial focused in our credit strategies. Your analysis will help inform our directors of what decisions they need to make, after all, the decisions we make in terms of who we lend to can affect our growth and our members.
Who we're looking for
As a minimum requirement you’ll have or be:
- Educated to degree level or some experience analysing/interpreting data
- Advanced Excel skills and demonstrate a strong aptitude for programming and coding tools
- Experience of working with data - gained either through your degree or on the job – and generating insight or providing recommendations
- Self-motivated, articulate and highly numerate, with experience of presenting / explaining your findings to others verbally or in writing
- Experience of building relationships and communicating with confidence whilst also working well on your own initiative while demonstrating a logical approach and an attention to detail
It would be advantageous if you also had:
- Experience in statistical and analytical tools such as SAS, SQL, R, or Python
- A track record of using statistical and business analysis to drive strategy changes
If you feel you would be a good fit for this role and you can tell us about your transferable experience we encourage you to apply.
What you'll be doing
You’ll analyse data to provide the business with insight into how mortgage lending is performing and to develop lending strategies that balance risk appetite with our growth and financial targets.
To do this you’ll:
- Extract the data from our system
- Write code on SAS to extract what we need, (we’ll teach you this part)
- Export this in to excel
- Read the data and analyse the trends (using a variety of techniques), produce MI and explain the outputs to others
The challenging part is understanding and manipulating the data, and knowing what your analysis means for the organisation and the financial services industry. This job will keep you thinking, and your work will be varied and technically demanding, as you could be working both on your own or as part of a wider team.
However you undertake your work, the purpose will always be the same – to support the development of best in class credit risk strategies that reward our members and deliver value to Nationwide.
In addition to all of the on the job training, we will also help you with your career and develop all the skills to be a Risk Manager. Some have made the progression at Nationwide in a relatively short space of time.
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So if you help us do the right thing for our members, we’ll help further your career with us.
As part of our team you’ll get:
• Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
• Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• 24 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
• The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
• Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
• Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
At Nationwide we’re here for our members and we put their needs first in everything we do. And now, more than ever, two things are helping us go from strength to strength: we put our customers first, and we’re known for being open, honest and trustworthy.
We’re also the world’s largest building society, with communities at the heart of everything we do. We aim to do the right thing for our members which helps set us apart from our competitors. But we need good people to help us do it. People who understand what we believe in and have the talent and drive to keep us successful.
Living our Values
There are endless reasons why you should be part of our growing community, but below are a few:
- The human element and sense of social purpose we have, and that no matter what role you do you are genuinely making a difference to our members and their lives
- The dress for the day approach we take, incorporating a relaxed and less corporate environment
- The dynamic and flexible working initiatives that are being driven across the business with the view that you can work how/when/where you want keeping in line with business needs and demands but also your own personal life and work/life balance
- The ethic of care for employees, our engagement and events, investment in success e.g. Arthur Webb cup events, PRIDE rewards, Annual awards etc
- PRIDE and how we all live by it, we care about our people and value each and every employee that works for us
- Being able to bring your true self to work in a safe environment
- Our trustworthy reputation in the industry – safe as an employer, safe for our members
We have a strong ethic of care, and a genuine concern for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We are committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. If you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.