Head of Economic Crime Operations
Head of Economic Crime Operations
- Location: UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R001500722
- Closing Date: 08 November 2020
The world of Economic Crime is changing at a rapid pace, and now more than ever protecting our members is at the forefront of what we do. As our Economic Crime function evolves to respond to the increased challenges and threats that we face, we are now looking for an experienced leader to provide strategic direction to our operational teams.
This is a crucial role in which you will provide strategic leadership and operational management of the Economic Crime Detection and Investigations areas including the specialist Financial Intelligence Unit.
Due to COVID-19 the way we are operating as an organisation is changing. As we try to navigate the varying and unprecedented landscape we are continuing to work on how and where our teams work during this time. As a result, we are flexible on location, and whilst this role will involve working remotely to begin with, as things begin to adapt further there will be some travel to Swindon.
What you’ll be doing
As a member of the Economic Crime Senior Leadership Team you’ll contribute to the development and delivery of the Society’s Economic Crime strategy through engagement in strategic decisions and driving through change.
Reporting to the Director of Economic Crime you’ll be accountable for;
- Leading as the Senior Subject Matter Expert (SME) interface for Regulators e.g. FCA, PRA, Industry e.g. UK Finance, private: public partnerships, law enforcement and central government/security services (classified information) e.g. National Crime Agency.
- The legal, regulatory, scheme and organisational service level agreements in relation to all Economic Crime processes.
- Strategic oversight on regulatory and legal Society issues as SME, influencing and driving change and external industry positioning. SME credibility and independent challenge are essential requirements.
- Key sponsorship of significant, strategic, multi-million-pound projects on behalf of Economic Crime.
- Leading the Financial Investigation Unit within Economic Crime, providing the conduit between government, law enforcement and Nationwide in response to serious and organised criminal investigations and all counter terrorism enquires.
- Delivering the Economic Crime operational strategy (within the FCA Lines of Defence model). To ensure right structure, resources and capabilities are in place, demonstrating professional excellence.
- Leading evaluation of future threats, emerging trends and delivering mitigation responses across broad and technical areas.
We are interested in people who enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, have a real interest and passion for Economic Crime and are not afraid of taking on a challenge. This role is in a department with a strong reputation, captivating subject matter and an Industry leading presence
As a minimum requirement you’ll have:
- Significant experience in a regulated environment (preferably financial services or similarly complex or large organisations), either in a risk compliance, audit, regulatory or other assurance function.
- Experience in an operational or specialist Financial Crime/compliance environment, with an extensive practical and theoretical knowledge of the subject matter.
- Specialist knowledge of financial crime and wider financial crime developments within the industry, where possible.
- Experience in designing and delivering strategies and control frameworks and of streamlining existing processes to find process efficiencies and/or automation in an operational environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with proven presentation, facilitation, negotiation, influencing, training and conflict management skills.
- Proven people management experience (which will include leading large operational teams), with the ability to gain the trust of and manage the performance of staff at a range of levels, including the ability to coach and give effective feedback. You’ll inspire people to deliver to the best of their ability, sell ideas and be a driver of change in the department.
- The ability to think strategically, in order to develop and deliver our strategy.
- Excellent organisational and planning/time management skills.
The extras you’ll get
When you put a lot in, it’s only fair to expect a lot out. So, when you help us do the right thing for our members, we want to reward you. As well as your salary, additional benefits include 30 days’ holiday (on top of bank holidays), an executive car allowance, a competitive pension or cash alternative, private healthcare for your family plus executive health screening every 2 years, life assurance and the opportunity to participate in Sharing in Success, our Society-wide, all-employee variable pay plan. If that wasn’t enough, you could also tailor your reward package by taking advantage of a range of flexible benefits.
Why work at Nationwide
We’re the world’s largest building society, with communities at the heart of everything we do. You'll be joining a strong Executive Team based in the UK and as a Senior Executive you will help to deliver our vision to be the 1st choice for financial services. Our Head Office is in Swindon, Wiltshire and is home to 5,000 of our 18,000 employees. We also have offices in London, Bournemouth, Northampton and Dunfermline.
We’re here for our members and we put their needs first in everything we do. When you combine this with our reputation for being open, honest and trustworthy it’s no wonder we’re going from strength to strength as a business. We think these values are important for our employees and leaders too.
We're a people business and need good people who understand and share what we believe in. As a result, we invest a lot in our people and we`ll not just set you up to be successful in this role, but also provide opportunities for you to develop your career with Nationwide. So, in addition to a bespoke on boarding and induction programme we provide mentoring; access to leadership development courses and for the most talented the chance to take part in a senior executive development programme.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.