Assistant Company Secretary
Assistant Company Secretary
- Location: Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R001600024
- Closing Date: 23 August 2019
- Assistant Secretary – either Swindon Head Office or London (Frequent travel to Swindon is required)
- £ 42,370- £ 61,201 a year on a Permanent contract, full time 35 hours a week
- Salary is dependent on skills and experience
- Send in your application by 23/08/2018
An opportunity has arisen for a full-time Assistant Company Secretary to join our Secretariat team based in our Head Office in Swindon or London. Assisting the Society Secretary and Director of Secretariat in advising Nationwide, its directors and subsidiary entities on a range of corporate and governance matters, you will be part of the ongoing development of the Secretariat function as it enhances its role and service offering.
Nationwide’s vision is to be the UK’s first choice for financial services, offering a meaningful and unique alternative to the established banks. Consistent with its objective of doing the right thing, it strives to be an exemplar of good governance. Our mutual model is our point of difference and our unique differentiator, which gives us real competitive advantage. We are the world’s largest building society and we hold a unique place on the UK high street. We have over 15 million members, 17,000 employees and are the equivalent size to a top 75 FTSE listed company.
Who we're looking for
As a minimum requirement you’ll:
- Already have, or be working towards, a professional qualification, ideally as a Chartered Secretary (ACIS or above) or equivalent qualification e.g. solicitor, chartered accountant
- Practical knowledge and experience of company law and secretarial practice gained in an organisation of a similar size and scale to Nationwide
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements applicable to listed companies (in relation to Nationwide’s standard listing)
- Knowledge of the regulatory landscape in which the Society operates
- In depth understanding of governance requirements for mutuals and corporates
- An understanding of the subject matter considered by the Board/Committees/Subsidiaries supported, to ensure the production of accurate, concise and comprehensive minutes
- Good relationship building skills and ability to influence at a senior level
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written tailored to the required audience
It would be nice if you also had:
- Experience of the Financial Services industry and its regulatory framework.
What you'll be doing
This role will report to a Senior Secretary and will be aligned to either the Corporate or Governance & Standards team but will be expected to work across both teams as needed. With a professional and pragmatic approach, you will be required to build strong working relationships with a range of people, most notably the board and executive members.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Providing a full secretarial service to a portfolio of boards and committees to ensure that meetings are effective and that accurate minutes are kept
- Advice and support on a range of corporate governance and company secretarial matters to ensure that best practice standards are met and developed
- Ensuring that corporate compliance requirements are met in relation to the Society, its directors and subsidiary companies, including recordkeeping requirements and maintenance of the corporate database ( Blueprint OneWorld)
- Supporting corporate actions and projects as required eg Annual Report & Accounts, AGM
- Supporting directors in the discharge of their duties including taking the lead on their onboarding and induction
- Keeping abreast of emerging developments and sharing best practice to support the team’s commitment to ongoing learning and development
The extras you'll get
As part of our team you’ll get:
- Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
- Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- 24 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
- The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
- Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
- Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
At Nationwide we’re here for our members and we put their needs first in everything we do. And now, more than ever, two things are helping us go from strength to strength: we put our customers first, and we’re known for being open, honest and trustworthy.
We’re also the world’s largest building society, with communities at the heart of everything we do. We aim to do the right thing for our members which helps set us apart from our competitors. But we need good people to help us do it. People who understand what we believe in, and have the talent and drive to keep us successful.