- Location: Central London, London Area
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R001600030
- Closing Date: 20 April 2020
Here at Nationwide we put our members at the heart of everything we do and every role, no matter what it’s doing, has a part to play in this. Our legal team use their skills to provide expert legal advice to the organisation across a number of portfolios.
We now have an opportunity for someone to use their legal expertise to strengthen the way we provide legal advice across Treasury. So if you have a passion for doing the right thing in the right way, and want to further your career in Legal then this may be the role for you.
- A Senior Counsel, on a permanent full time contract
- £80,000-£88,000 per annum, plus benefits and a company car allowance
- Based in Threadneedle Street, London (with flexibility to work from home from time to time)
- Send in your application by 20/04/2020
Who we're looking for
We are interested in people who enjoy working in a fast-paced team, have a real interest in capital markets and all things-Treasury, and are not afraid of taking on a challenge. We are looking for someone who has proactive attitude and is keen to gain a sound understanding of our organisation and its processes.
As a minimum you’ll:
- Be a qualified solicitor with demonstrable post qualification experience in debt capital markets, securitisation or derivatives
- Enjoy and have experience in extensive stakeholder management, with the ability to build strong relationships across the business up to executive level
- Have strong influencing skills with the ability to communicate and advise across all levels
It would be nice if you also had:
- In-house Financial Services experience
What you'll be doing
This role provides a rare opportunity to work in a close-knit team, with substantial exposure across the organisation.
You’ll be involved in contributing towards the team strategy and as a key member of our team you’ll work closely with the senior stakeholders and the wider business, giving hands-on advice. That means dealing with a broad range of issues from wholesale funding, derivatives, securitisation and covered bond structures, as well as keeping up to date with and advising on the implications of regulatory change affecting Treasury
In each case, you’ll find it’s all about balancing business objectives with a commercially focused approach to the law. But your responsibilities won’t stop there, you’ll develop and implement documentation policy, advise on risks and issues and proactively support external solicitor panel management.
However you undertake your work the purpose will always be the same – your role will be to work with your colleagues to provide legal advice on a number of initiatives across Treasury.
The extras you'll get
Our people’s success isn’t based on how long they spend at their desk. While you’ll have contracted hours, we want to offer a flexible environment where possible. That might be working from home, logging on from other offices across the UK, or working part time or compressed hours.
We’ve let you know about the flexibility available for this role at the start of the advert. This means you can quickly decide if it suits how you’d like to work.
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
- Status car cash allowance - £4,656 per annum
- London weighting allowance - £4,687 per annum
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
At Nationwide we’re here for our members and we put their needs first in everything we do. And now, more than ever, two things are helping us go from strength to strength: we put our customers first, and we’re known for being open, honest and trustworthy.
We’re also the world’s largest building society, with communities at the heart of everything we do. We aim to do the right thing for our members which helps set us apart from our competitors. But we need good people to help us do it. People who understand what we believe in and have the talent and drive to keep us successful.
Living our Values
There are endless reasons why you should be part of our growing community, but below are a few:
- The human element and sense of social purpose we have, and that no matter what role you do you are genuinely making a difference to our members and their lives
- The dress for the day approach we take, incorporating a relaxed and less corporate environment
- The dynamic and flexible working initiatives that are being driven across the business with the view that you can work how/when/where you want keeping in line with business needs and demands but also your own personal life and work/life balance
- The ethic of care for employees, our engagement and events, investment in success e.g. Arthur Webb cup events, PRIDE rewards, Annual awards etc
- PRIDE and how we all live by it, we care about our people and value each and every employee that works for us
- Being able to bring your true self to work in a safe environment
- Our trustworthy reputation in the industry – safe as an employer, safe for our members
We have a strong ethic of care, and a genuine concern for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We are committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. If you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
You may also be interested in these related vacancies