Senior Assistant Accountant
Senior Assistant Accountant
- Location: Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary: £27,484 - £39,699
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R001700357
- Closing Date: 20 June 2019
• A Senior Assistant Accountant in our Financial Planning & Analysis team in our head office in Swindon
• Salary - £27,484 - £39,699 a year (dependent on current salary and banding) on a 35 hour a week, permanent contract
• Please send in your application by 20th June.
An exciting opportunity has arisen to be part of the Executive Reporting team within Financial Planning & Stress Testing. As a trusted finance colleague, you’ll be working closely across various areas of the business, providing relevant insight and support to drive the right strategic decisions.
Who we're looking for
We are looking for a commercially-focused and ambitious individual who is seeking a challenging role where they can make a real impact. You will have experience engaging with senior stakeholders (both financial and non-financial) and you’ll thrive in a high-pressured environment driven by strict deadlines and competing demands. You’ll perform to consistently high standards under pressure and have the drive and ambition to make a real difference.
As a minimum requirement you’ll:
• Be a part-qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA or CIMA) or seeking the opportunity to begin studying towards a professional accountancy qualification
• Have a strong finance background
• Have sound financial accounting and reporting understanding, able to apply that technical knowledge to implement effective processes to the changing business
• Have excellent stakeholder management, building relationships across a wide network within the business and draws on those to understand and deliver against customer requirements
• Have the ability to build strong working relationships and work well both independently and in a team, not being afraid to challenge where necessary
• Have strong organisational skills, able to understand competing requirements and implement plans to deliver against them
• Have an analytical approach to problem solving, able to absorb financial information and use your commercial awareness to understand the operational drivers or implications
• Have a strong eye for detail
• Be a competent user of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
It would be nice if you also had:
• Experience using Cognos Disclosure Management
• Experience in embedding and performing quality assurance of output
What you'll be doing
You will be joining the busy Financial Planning & Analysis Team with the key responsibility of supporting and producing the executive level business financial reporting packs. In this role you will build a broad knowledge of all key business areas across Nationwide and will have significant exposure at senior executive level. The role requires more than your technical accounting skills, requiring you to develop effective customer relationships that deliver high levels of service. Whilst supporting the demands of the team you’ll also be delivering against your own business areas requirements in accounting for and reporting on financial performance.
You’ll also be responsible for:
• Compliance and control – taking the lead in embedding a more robust control environment and take actions to understand the risks within the team’s processes and implement effective controls.
• Service delivery - liaising with the business areas to identify opportunities for delivering the highest quality services and products.
• Process improvement and supporting change – a core part of our ethos is making ourselves as efficient as possible, and you will need to deliver against this.
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So if you help us do the right thing for our customers, we’ll help further your career at Nationwide. As well as your salary, there’s life assurance, a pension and a recognition and rewards scheme. We think it’s a great place to work, and we’re not afraid of giving you praise when you’ve done well.
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
At Nationwide we’re here for our members and we put their needs first in everything we do. And now, more than ever, two things are helping us go from strength to strength: we put our customers first, and we’re known for being open, honest and trustworthy.
We’re also the world’s largest building society, with communities at the heart of everything we do. We aim to do the right thing for our members which helps set us apart from our competitors. But we need good people to help us do it. People who understand what we believe in, and have the talent and drive to keep us successful.
At Nationwide we have a strong ethic of care, and a genuine concern for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We are committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. If you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured and you feel empowered to contribute then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.