Media Relations Manager
Media Relations Manager
- Location: Swindon, London, Countrywide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R001800256
- Closing Date: 23 October 2019
- A Media Relations Manager based in either London or Swindon
- Salary range £42,000 – £60,000 per annum, dependent on skills and experience
- Applications are invited until 23rd October 2019
This is a varied and pivotal role where you’ll manage Nationwide’s relations with external opinion formers, namely media and key commentators. The mission is to increase the Society’s exposure and influence on subjects of national consequence, in pursuit of our National Treasure status.
Who we're looking for
As a minimum requirement you’ll:
- Have in depth experience in the delivery of high-impact external communication strategies
- Be financially literate and have experience that enables you to successfully work on financial results activity
- Have a track record of consistently producing high quality work
- Be highly articulate with excellent presentation skills
- Have experience of building successful networks both internally and externally
We're also seeking someone:
- Who has proven experience of dealing with media, including broadcast
- With strong news sense and a proven track record of delivering creative campaigns
- Who writes in a concise, pithy manner with strong attention to detail
- With confidence, who has experience of communicating effectly when managing issues and crises
- Who's a strategic thinker - innovative, yet pragmatic
- Versed in communicating at executive level
- Used to working under pressure and at speed to meet challenging deadlines whilst still achieving results of the highest standard
- Who's able to recognise potential risks to brand and reputation and devise and implement strategies that minimise the impact of each risk
- With excellent business judgement and strong organisational awareness
What you'll be doing
You'll play a critical role in the Media Relations team, taking responsibility for the media management of corporate issues and support on key reporting milestones through the year. Two main milestones for you will be the Society's half and full year financial results.
Other responsibilities will include:
- Creating news and campaigns to make Nationwide stand out from the crowd
- Devising and implementing media contact programmes for media spokespeople across the Society
- Leading in the preparation of interviews and briefings
- Maintaining and creating strong relationships with media, particularly City and Business and broadcast
- Maintaining and building a strong network of experts internally
- Briefing, advising and providing consultancy on relevant media, and sector issues as they arise
- Producing high quality, concise written content for dissemination to Executive/Board level and externally
- Showing a keen interest in competitor and industry activity to anticipate and react to issues externally
- Preparing both proactive and reactive media and member statements to promote and protect Nationwide’s brand and reputation
- Joining the on call duty rota, approximately one week in six, which will be remunerated for separately
- Providing support to the Head of News and the Director of Communications
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually, which is why it’s a good idea to show your relevant experience on your CV to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you'll get
Our people’s success isn’t based on how long they spend at their desk. While you’ll have contracted hours, we offer a flexible environment. That might be working from home, logging on from other offices across the UK, or working part time or compressed hours. We want to know how you like to work. And if we forget to ask, please tell us. We promise it won’t affect your chances at all.
There are all sorts of benefits, including:
• A personal pension (most people put in 7% of their salary which we’ll top up by a further 16%)
• Up to two days of paid volunteering a year
• Family-friendly benefits to make life easier for parents and carers
• Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
• 25 days holiday
• London location allowance of £4,687 per annum
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.