- Location: Greater London, UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R001900845
- Closing Date: 20 September 2019
- Based at our London Office with some travel to our Head Office in Swindon
- Salary (based on a 35-hour working week) to reflect experience.
- Full time, permanent job with clear pathways to further development and promotion.
Nationwide is investing £1.2b in Technology transformation, so it’s never been a more exciting time to join. Building high performing teams plays a huge part in this transformation, which is why we need a highly skilled IT Engineer to work within a small IT Engineering leadership team to provide expert advice and consultancy.
We are leveraging the power of Cloud, DevOps and Agile to bring teams together and create compelling Digital propositions for our members. At the same time, we’re investing in our branches and contact centres to create the best blend of human and digital service.
Who we're looking for
We need somebody with:
• Strong leadership and stakeholder management skills.
• Experience of setting a compelling technical vision and communicating that to stakeholders at all levels.
• Infrastructure (Cloud, compute, storage, network), database and software engineering (integration, microservices) experience and knowledge.
• Deep Systems Engineering technical experience, including knowledge of monitoring, performance engineering, design for resilience and security.
• Experience in leading and inspiring technical teams and making decisions through periods of ambiguity.
• A successful track record of interpreting external drivers (technology development, market conditions, consumer behaviour, regulatory demands). The ability to translate technology strategy and IT Architectures into technical solutions is essential.
Ideally, you also have:
• Knowledge of Financial services and Digital banking solutions delivery
• Strong hands-on development and operational skills
What you'll be doing
You’ll be one of a small team of Technology experts providing direction to our hubs, squads, projects and programmes to ensure that good IT engineering disciplines are in place. You will provide consultancy to various areas of systems engineering to broaden and deepen our engineering skills to enable us to deliver against a bold IT strategy and investment plan. You will:
- Provide specialist engineering guidance as required to ensure the successful delivery of complex technical solutions by programmes/squads.
- Direct engineering investigation into complex production incidents to assist the root cause analysis and recommend solutions.
- Provide specialist guidance and incremental improvement to engineering teams responsible for the development of methods, selection of engineering tools, languages, desk tools, code screening etc.
- Provide thought leadership for emerging engineering themes e.g. DevOps, Chaos Engineering, Site Reliability Engineering (SRE).
- Be part of an Engineering Community of 1,000 practitioners across London and Swindon.
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So, if you help us do the right thing for our members, we’ll help further your career with us. You’ll get:
- Access to training to help you progress your skills and career
- Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- 30 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
- Option to ‘buy’ 10 days more holiday
- Access to a healthcare scheme
- Discount vouchers for various retail outlets
- Annual performance related bonus scheme
- Company car or allowance
Click apply today and send us your CV to take your first step towards helping us build society.
Please note: To help us do the right thing by our members, all applicants will be subject to a criminal record and credit checks.
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
Nationwide is the world’s largest building society. We’re growing, but we’re keeping hold of the values that make us different: commitment to our members, our people, and to building a better society. That’s why we work hard to remain open, honest, trustworthy and helpful across our entire business. To us, society means community, and the idea that we’re all here to help each other. Help us make a difference and we’ll help you build an amazing career.