Lead Systems Engineer
Lead Systems Engineer
- Location: Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary: £54,231 - £88,126
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R001900863
- Closing Date: 02 August 2019
- Based at our Head Office in Swindon. Just an hour from London by train, with generous relocation package available
- Salary (based on a 35-hour working week) to reflect experience.
- Full time, permanent job with clear pathways to further development and promotion.
Nationwide is investing £1.2b in Technology transformation, so it’s never been a more exciting time to join. Building high performing teams plays a huge part in this transformation, which is why we need a skilled IT Engineer to work within a small team lead to provide expertise and consultancy.
We are leveraging the power of Cloud, DevOps and Agile to bring teams together and create compelling Digital propositions for our members. At the same time, we’re investing in our branches and contact centres to create the best blend of human and digital service.
You’ll be one of a small team of Technology experts providing direction to our hubs, squads, projects and programmes to ensure that good IT engineering disciplines are in place. Your team will provide consultancy to various areas of software engineering to broaden and deepen our engineering skills to enable us to deliver against a bold IT strategy and investment plan. You will:
- Lead the recovery of technical solutions which have encountered technical or delivery difficulty.
- Provide specialist engineering guidance as required to ensure the successful delivery of complex technical solutions by programmes/squads.
- Direct engineering investigations into complex production incidents to recover the service and subsequently assist the root cause analysis.
- Provide specialist guidance and incremental improvement to engineering teams responsible for the development of methods, selection of engineering tools, development of engineering controls, etc.
Closing date for applications is 02/08/2019
Who we're looking for
We need somebody with:
- Strong leadership and organisational skills
- Infrastructure (Cloud, compute, storage, network), databases and integration technologies, applications (microservices, Java based and Microsoft technologies).
- Good knowledge of monitoring, performance engineering, design for resilience, security
- Proven experience in building and leading engineering teams
- Strong stakeholder management skills
- Deep Software Engineering Technical experience with the ability to inspire a technical team
- Experience in leading technical teams and making decisions through periods of ambiguity
- Experience of setting a compelling vision and communicating that to stakeholders at all levels
- A successful track record of interpreting external drivers (technology developments, market conditions, consumer behaviour, Regulatory demands). The ability to translate architectural/technical strategy into technical solutions is essential.
Ideally, you also have:
- Knowledge of Financial Services and delivery of Digital banking solutions
- Strong hands on and operational skills
What you'll be doing
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So, if you help us do the right thing for our members, we’ll help further your career with us. You’ll get:
- Access to training to help you progress your skills and career
- Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- 30 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
- Option to ‘buy’ 10 days more holiday
- Access to a healthcare scheme
- Discount vouchers for various retail outlets
- Annual performance related bonus scheme
- Company car or allowance
Click apply today and send us your CV to take your first step towards helping us build society.
The extras you'll get
Nationwide is the world’s largest building society. We’re growing, but we’re keeping hold of the values that make us different: commitment to our members, our people, and to building a better society. That’s why we work hard to remain open, honest, trustworthy and helpful across our entire business. To us, society means community, and the idea that we’re all here to help each other. Help us make a difference and we’ll help you build an amazing career.