Lead Prototyping Engineer
Lead Prototyping Engineer
- Location: Swindon, South West England
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R001900904
- Closing Date: 28 June 2019
Nationwide is investing £1.2b in IT transformation, so it’s never been a more exciting time to join. Building high performing teams plays a huge part in this transformation, which is why we need a skilled Applications & Development Manager to take on our brand-new Proof of Concept / Prototyping team.
We need high-performing individuals to cement our leadership position in the world of Open Banking as we collaborate with FinTech partners to continually innovate through new open API technologies. You’ll be part of an exciting new team based within our Engineering Centre of Excellence.
Who we're looking for
We need somebody with:
• Strong technical leadership and organisational skills
• Proven experience in coaching / mentoring of software engineers
• Strong stakeholder management skills with excellent verbal and written communication
• Deep Technical experience with the ability to inspire a technical team
• Familiar with rapid development environments, process and techniques
• Proven ability to be accountable for engineering decisions within a technical environment
• Experience of implementing solutions using containerisation technology such as Docker and Kubernetes
• Previous deliveries using cloud-based solutions in either AWS, Azure or Google Cloud (the broader knowledge of cloud service portfolios the better)
• Experience of leading work using NoSQL data layers such as Cassandra/MongoDB
• Experience implementing event-based architectures using tools such as Kafka
• Experience in API-driven and microservices-based architectures
• The ability to quantify measures of success in a language that makes sense to stakeholders
Ideally, you also have:
• Experience of DevOps processes including CI / CD techniques and associated toolsets (e.g. Git, Jenkins, Puppet, Chef, Ansible etc.)
What you'll be doing
You’ll play a pivotal part in delivering Proof of Concepts and prototyping services across Technology Strategy, IT Architecture & Engineering. Working with our delivery squads to prove out technology solutions ahead of them going into full development, you will help grow and evolve the capabilities of this brand-new team, using a broad range of technologies and working with a wide spectrum of stakeholders.
You will work closely with the Head of Early Stage & Prototyping, and will need to be adept at gathering and presenting data to quantify prototyping results for stakeholder consumption. As a lead engineer in this space, you’ll also be an excellent team player, enthusiastic about sharing your experience and knowledge with your colleagues.
The extras you'll get
What you’ll get in return
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So, if you help us do the right thing for our members, we’ll help further your career with us.
• Access to training to help you progress your skills and career
• Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• 30 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
• Option to ‘buy’ 10 days more holiday
• Access to a healthcare scheme
• Discount vouchers for various retail outlets
• Annual performance related bonus scheme
• Company car or allowance worth £4656
Click apply today and send us your CV to take your first step towards helping us build our Society.
Please note: To help us do the right thing by our members, all applicants will be subject to a criminal record and credit checks.
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
At Nationwide, we’re here for our members and we put their needs first in everything we do. And now, more than ever, two things are helping us go from strength to strength: we put our customers first, and we’re known for being open, honest and trustworthy.
We’re also the world’s largest building society, with communities at the heart of everything we do. We aim to do the right thing for our members which helps set us apart from our competitors. But we need good people to help us do it. People who understand what we believe in and have the talent and drive to keep us successful.
At Nationwide we have a strong ethic of care, and a genuine concern for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We are committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. If you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.