Software Engineer – Digital Portfolio
Software Engineer – Digital Portfolio
- Location: Wakefield House, Swindon, South West England
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R001900912
- Closing Date: 31 May 2019
• Based at our Head Office in Swindon. Just an hour from London by train, with generous relocation package available
• Salary – competitive, to reflect experience
• Permanent, full-time and flexible 35 hour a week contract, with clear pathways to further development and promotion
We are building on our current Digital Portfolio with a set of modern technologies, delivering additional 2 factor authentication, better digital experiences for online transactions and very importantly, Open Banking; so this is an exciting opportunity to work with a team at its inception. We need front-end, back-end or full-stack developers, and have a range of positions available both at junior and senior levels. You’ll be at the frontline, designing and developing systems used by millions every day, and sold to millions every day, via tv, billboards and online.
Who we're looking for
If you have any of the following skills, we’re keen to hear from you.
- Commercial IT experience with a strong understanding of programming concepts, preferably with a programming background in one of the following, C#/.Net, NodeJS, VB.net
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including status reporting;
- Drive to continuously innovate and improve.
- Strong understanding of the development lifecycle and experience of working under Agile development methodologies
- DevOps tooling (such as Jenkins, Nexus/Artifactory, Selenium, Veracode, JMeter etc.) would be very desirable. Experience of the following areas are beneficial. If you don’t have experience in these areas, they are technologies in which you will be able to develop your skills.
- Developing web scale cloud-based solutions preferably in AWS but experience in Azure or Google Cloud is great too.
- API Gateways such as Apigee
- NoSQL technologies such as Cassandra/MongoDB and GraphDB
- Relational databases such as SQL Server, PostgreSQL, etc.
- Experience of event-based architectures using technology such as Apache Kafka
- Native mobile app development (beneficial, but not essential)
- Microservices using .NET Core, NodeJS or Golang.
- Developing with Docker and container orchestration technologies such as Kubernetes or OpenShift.
- Experience in designing and developing API-driven and microservices-based architectures
What you'll be doing
Day-to-day you’ll be exploiting your experience of delivering first-class solutions in an Agile environment. You’ll be involved in mentoring where needed and help to build our development process and strategies. You’ll drive continuous improvements and promote best practice in your team through your actions and behaviours. With end-to-end ownership, development and deployment you’ll be given a platform to lead by example.
We want you to nurture and value proactive habits and to develop contacts and relationships so things are done faster and more efficiently. We’ll expect you to get stuck in and have a go, knowing that sometimes to fail fast is to learn fast.
The extras you'll get
We aim to give our people a good work-life balance and understand that flexible working and getting your schedule in advance helps you to organise your life. We also offer:
• Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
• Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• 24 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
• The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
• Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
• Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
At Nationwide, we’re here for our members and we put their needs first in everything we do. And as the world’s largest building society, communities are at the heart of everything we do. Doing the right thing for our members helps set us apart from our competitors. But we need good people to help us do it. People who understand what we believe in, and have the talent and drive to keep us successful.