Senior Content Designer
Senior Content Designer
- Location: UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002100375
- Closing Date: 11 August 2020
As a Senior Content Designer in Service & Experience Design, you’ll use your expertise to define and deliver insightful content-led experiences that give our members one less thing to worry about. A natural people person, you’ll bring teams and colleagues on the journey and build long-lasting relationships in all you do. We are flexible on location and you could be based in our offices in Swindon, London or be based at home.
As our name suggests, here in Service & Experience Design, we’re responsible for defining, designing and delivering frictionless, useful experiences that help our members manage their money and look after what matters to them in life. We research, we iterate, we craft, we strive – and we do it all to make sure our members have experiences that are memorable, for all the right reasons, on every channel.
What you’ll be doing
Joining us as a Senior Content Designer, you’ll take the lead for content design on the project or engagement you’re working on. And we’re not just talking about ‘writing the words’. You’ll be responsible for setting the approach, co-designing with stakeholders and team members and standardising all of this through guidance and patterns.
You’ll work closely with the likes of Legal, Compliance and Product Owners, bringing them on board in inventive ways and winning advocates as you share the value that content design is bringing to members and Society.
As no stranger to collaborating in Agile environments, you’ll be comfortable working with other designers and developers – whether you’re sketching, requirement gathering or researching together. You’ll appreciate others’ perspectives and unite for mutual objectives but you’ll also know when to fly the content flag high and upskill others.
As part of a 20-strong passionate content design team, you’ll make a valuable contribution here too. We’ll look to you to contribute to our wider ContentOps, coach other designers and help enhance our collective ways of working.
And you’ll quickly identify what’s working – and what’s not – by drawing on triangulated insight for your design decisions. This could see you leading on comprehension evaluations, conducting content audits, analysing readability measures and so much more.
• A portfolio that shows off your experience in researching, designing and crafting content-led user experiences at a senior or lead level.
• Evidence of taking a strategic approach to content design – defining ways of working (workflows, governance, patterns and principles), engaging stakeholders effectively and focusing on the ‘so what?’ (outcomes) as well as the ‘what’ (output).
• Experience of setting up, running and analysing readability, content comprehension 'testing', using a range of different methods.
• Confident in collating and analysing both qualitative and quantitative data to make informed design decisions, that balance user and business needs.
• Evidence of coaching other designers and contributing to collective ways of working, making an impact beyond just your own tasks and Sprint goals.
• Experience of working in fast-paced Agile Sprints with multi-disciplinary teams and being able to take a pragmatic approach to meet tight deadlines, without compromising on quality.
• Brilliant people skills and the proven ability to influence wide-ranging stakeholders, often with conflicting priorities, to define, design and deliver the best possible solutions.
• Previous use of relevant tools such as Readable, Sketch, Google Analytics, JIRA Ask the Public.
• A love of learning! Not one to rest on your laurels, you’ll bring an open mind and be happy to learn, flex and adapt.
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
• Your values, and what makes you who you are
• How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
Our people’s success isn’t based on how long they spend at their desk. While you’ll have contracted hours, we want to offer a flexible environment where possible. That might be working from home, logging on from other offices across the UK, or working part time or compressed hours.
We’ve let you know about the flexibility available for this role at the start of the advert. This means you can quickly decide if it suits how you’d like to work.
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
• A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
• Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
• Access to an annual performance related bonus
• Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us. We’d also like to see a portfolio of some of your work.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application and if you’ll be moving forwards to a remote assessment.