Payments Lead Engineer
Payments Lead Engineer
- Location: UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002100399
- Closing Date: 04 December 2020
Fantastic and rare opportunity to join our Engineering Centre of Excellence as a Lead Engineer as Nationwide design, develop and deploy one of the first cloud native Payments Platforms. We’re looking at what the biggest tech companies in the world are doing to help solve the huge complexities of our critical systems and embarking on a new chapter in our architectural thinking.
Our focus is shifting to concepts of event streams or event driven architectures. And we’re looking to utilise technologies such as Apache Kafka, NoSQL Databases and Microservices to build elastically scaling systems capable of handlings hundreds of thousands of events per second. The purpose? Outstanding customer experience. This is an exciting time to join if you’re keen to make an impact.
What you’ll be doing
To build this new vision we are looking to recruit a Lead Engineer, recognised as a technical SME and an accomplished leader. Providing strong technical leadership and expertise, you will enable continuous integration and deployment, allowing developers to deliver at pace. For us, it’s not just about having the right technical background, you need to have an open mind, be able to work collaboratively and be driven to lead technical teams through complexity and ambiguity.
You’ll work in a highly collaborative environment, and with end-to-end ownership, you’ll be given a platform to lead by example.
• Demonstrable skills and experience leading teams of engineers.
• Track record leading large complex technical solutions throughout delivery lifecycle.
• Lead and drive the design and delivery of secure systems across infrastructure and applications.
• Designing for cloud adoption, cloud application design, and cloud management and monitoring.
• Coordinating and integrating architecture across solutions and value streams within Payments.
• Agile ways of working, ability to break down work into small product increments, allowing a continuous delivery pipeline for release on demand.
• Proven knowledge of best practice DevOps tooling to drive Integration/Continuous Deployment via fully automated pipelines. Mentor team to drive and embed DevOps culture and mindset.
• Container technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes or OpenShift.
• Different architectures, such as Enterprise, cloud, N-Tier, Event Streaming or Microservices.
• NoSQL databases such as MongoDB, Cassandra or Redis.
• Any previous experience of Apache Kafka would be very beneficial but not essential.
The extras you’ll get
• Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
• Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• 30 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
• The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
• Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
• Access to a healthcare scheme
• Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.