Senior Cloud Operations Site Reliability Engineer
Senior Cloud Operations Site Reliability Engineer
- Location: Swindon, London, Countrywide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002300243
- Closing Date: 27 October 2019
We’re no strangers to being at the forefront of technological breakthroughs – first in the UK to launch internet banking, joint first with Apple pay, Cisco leading-edge technology in our branches.
Building on that success, we’re now on a hugely exciting and ambitious transformation journey to become a simpler, more agile and innovative organisation, whilst remaining relentlessly focused on delivering legendary products and services to our members...
Our adoption of cloud is fundamental to the success of our material investment in technology for now and the future. The creation of first-class cloud products and capabilities that can be harnessed and leveraged are critical to achieving our strategy, delighting our members and the foundation of our digital capability. Our level of ambition is set high, that’s why we need an experienced cloud talent to drive forward our cloud strategy delivery.
And that’s where you come in…
Want to get involved in Cloud based technical challenges? Do you live and breathe hyperscale public cloud providers? Are you someone who appreciates similarities and differences between DevOps and SRE
If so you should be part of Nationwide’s exciting and growing team of Cloud Operations Site Reliability Engineers (SRE) you’ll be a recognised Cloud Operations SRE expert. Responsible for the delivery of Cloud Operations technical solutions for assigned projects/programmes/squads and for providing consultancy and support services as required. As part of the IT Operations and Service Delivery community and working within our Cloud Centre of Excellence, we are looking for talented people with the ability to act like a Developer and think like a Systems Operator
Who we're looking for
As a minimum requirement you’ll have:
- Deep expertise in Public Cloud
- Hands on experience automating the deployment and monitoring of services in Public Cloud
- Experience in design and implementing AWS cloud platforms for elasticity and scalability
- Propose and develop architectural decisions that minimise and optimise infrastructure cost
- Hands on experience in infrastructure as code and post deployment configuration management using tools such as Terraform, ARM, DSC, Puppet, Chef, Ansible etc
- Understanding of continuous deployment using CI/CD tools like Jenkins, SCM (Git, SVN)
- Experience in making changes to production & live systems ensuing service uptime adhering to SDLC best practices
- Experienced with running Docker, Kubernetes and Cloud native development frameworks (Serverless & PaaS) in Production
- Solid understanding of core network protocols and services (TCP/IP, DNS)
- In depth expertise in system administration including configuration and troubleshooting
- Deep understanding of IAM roles and policies
- Ability to analyse network behaviour, performance and application issues using standard tools
- Experienced with database and replication methodologies
- Experience with distributed systems design, maintenance, disaster recovery, updates required
- Understanding of Security Groups and Network Access Control Lists
- Public cloud certifications
What you'll be doing
As a core member of the team responsible for the reliability, availability and performance of our cloud platforms and services that underpin Nationwide. You will
- Lead architectural & design with regards to the operational reliability of cloud platforms
- Take the charge in building and managing scalable, self-healing, globally-distributed cloud platforms
- Collaborate with architecture, security, engineering teams and the wider Cloud Centre of Excellence to set up best in class cloud platforms and subsequently provide guidance on their consumption
- Work with development and feature squads to ensure the reliability of future projects and programmes
- Proactively seek opportunities to drive efficiency, automation and cost reduction by automating manual and repetitive tasks
- Develop features and codified artefacts for platform improvements leveraging automation and infrastructure as code
The extras you'll get
For helping us do the right thing for our members, you’ll get:
- 24 days’ holiday plus 8 bank holidays with the ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday.
- Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
- Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
- Life Assurance worth 8x your salary
- Training to help you progress and develop your skills and career aspirations
We think it’s a great place to work, and we’re not afraid of giving you praise when you’ve done well.
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
Why Work for us:
At Nationwide we’re here for our members and we put their needs first in everything we do. And now, more than ever, two things are helping us go from strength to strength: we put our customers first, and we’re known for being open, honest and trustworthy.
We’re also the world’s largest building society, with communities at the heart of everything we do. We aim to do the right thing for our members, which helps set us apart from our competitors. But we need good people to help us do it. People who understand what we believe in, and have the talent and drive to keep us successful.
At Nationwide we have a strong ethic of care, and a genuine concern for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We are committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. If you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.