Architect - Cloud
Architect - Cloud
- Location: Swindon, London, England
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002300255
- Closing Date: 31 May 2020
We are looking for passionate, highly skilled and experienced Cloud Architects. As part of Chief Technology Office, these Technical Architect roles are responsible for Cloud Platforms, Products and Solutions being driven out of our new Cloud Centre of Excellence in the Architecture, Strategy and Policy domain. More importantly you’ll be owning cloud solutions which realise the cloud elements of our technology strategy, sharing passion and enthusiasm to change our existing estate to benefit our members and colleagues.
What you’ll be doing
As a minimum requirement you’ll:
• Be motivated by change and excited to make a real difference in our use of cloud solutions
• Want to do the very best by our members and colleagues
• Have 3- 5 years architectural/design/implementation/consulting experience with leading cloud technologies and public cloud vendors (AWS, Azure, GCP)
• Certified in at least one public cloud technology (AWS, Azure, GCP)
• Know all about cloud connectivity across multi-cloud environments
• Possess a good understanding of data and its importance in cloud architecture and solutions
• Have a strong knowledge of virtualised platforms and migrating workloads to public cloud
• Most likely have a Technical degree or equivalent
• Be able to demonstrate experience working with cloud related technologies in similar environments (ideally regulated but not essential)
• Have worked on successful cloud adoption programmes leading the solution definition for net-new and legacy platforms
• Enjoy communicating effectively at all levels internally and externally
• Have great presentation skills that you are happy using with senior executives, technical specialists and business managers
• Easily create strong written materials
• Show passion for new technologies and want to learn quickly
It would be nice if you also had:
• An understanding of automation and methodologies, tools and how they can be applied
• Knowledge of cloud security tools, techniques and approaches
• Knowledge of container management and orchestration tools
• Strong DevOps knowledge
• Solid understanding of traditional infrastructure and application architecture domains
• Other qualities or experience that will make you really successful in this role!
In our new Cloud Centre of Excellence we build, deploy, scale and maintain company-wide platforms for cloud solutions. By defining and applying the right controls we are able to increase our adoption of cloud services and transform our hosting estate.
The Cloud architect creates robust, well architected solutions that are a vital part of the realisation of our cloud strategy. You will need deep cloud technical skills so you can collaborate and support your architecture, technical, operational and delivery colleagues. It is important you ensure that the society is adopting good cloud design approaches, and that our cloud solutions align with our guardrails which underpin the Nationwide Technology and Cloud Strategies.
You need to have the skills, experience and knowledge to provide solid technical leadership to other groups. You will build close relationships with these teams and be able to jump in and provide practical guidance, grounded in real world experience, as necessary.
The Cloud architecture team within the Cloud Centre of Excellence is focussing on cloud adoption and ensuring the best value from public (AWS, Azure and Google) cloud solutions so experience and skills related to this aim are vital.
Enjoy the responsibility and autonomy of a role that showcases your technical, organisational and personal skills while making a real difference to our cloud adoption journey! A typical week might include some of the following:
• Creating multi cloud solutions that meet the needs of our business and members
• Sharing cloud design good practices and approaches with technical stakeholder teams
• Producing architectural solution design assets, principles, patterns and templates to help projects and operations teams implement a successful cloud solution
• Supporting the Cloud Centre of Excellence within the Architecture, Strategy and Policy domain
• Acting as a technical liaison between cloud providers, 3rd party solution providers and internal teams
The extras you’ll get
Our people’s success isn’t based on how long they spend at their desk. While you’ll have contracted hours, we want to offer a flexible environment where possible. That might be working from home, logging on from other offices across the UK, or working part time or compressed hours.
We’ve let you know about the flexibility available for this role at the start of the advert. This means you can quickly decide if it suits how you’d like to work.
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.