Senior Big Data Engineer
Senior Big Data Engineer
- Location: Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary: £50,840 - £73,436
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002500062
- Closing Date: 21 June 2019
• A Senior Big Data Engineer in our head offices in Swindon
• Competitive salary a year on a permanent 35-hour per week contract
• Send in your application by 30th April 2019.
Nationwide has recently launched a new data strategy which will transform the way the society thinks about, values and manages its data. As part of this new strategy the data & analytics community, and more specifically, the data solutions team has a number of exciting new roles to help deliver on the promises of reducing the number of legacy data stores, simplifying the architectural landscape and treating data as a valued asset.
This role will focus on delivering reporting and analytics solutions on our Hadoop data lake, setting up and leading an enduring in-house engineering capability and helping drive the data strategy.
Combining accountabilities for delivery, continuous improvement and building an in-house capability, this exciting new role will provide the opportunity to work with some cutting-edge technologies, industry leading vendors and help shape and drive the next phase of the strategy execution.
For more information on this role please contact Andrew Cross (Hiring Manager) or Daniel Wilson (Resourcing Manager).
Who we're looking for
As a minimum requirement you’ll:
• Have significant experience of data lake and data warehouse delivery gained in a mix of industry sectors
• Have strong experience in the Hadoop big data appliance and a broad range of associated technologies, such as Python, R, Spark, HIVE, Scala
• Be a strong leader with a deep technical understanding as you will be required to setup and lead a team of engineers alongside setting strategy
• Be able to demonstrate line management experience, be able to set SMART objectives and drive high performance and continual improvement
• Have excellent stakeholder management and influencing skills
It would be nice if you also had:
• Hands-on experience of commercial ETL tooling, such as Informatica, Ab Initio or DataStage
• Experience of appliance databases, such as Teradata
• Have worked in the financial sector for part of your career to date
What you'll be doing
Reporting to the Snr Mgr Data Engineering, you will lead a team of engineers responsible for the implementation of data solutions onto the new Hadoop data lake in support of our strategy objective of simplifying our data landscape and delivery of insight and innovation. Working directly with business and IT stakeholders you will drive best practise, innovation and automation in the industrialisation of complex strategic IT initiatives alongside smaller user driven demand.
Working with Architecture you’ll be driving strategy, technology best practise and ensuring the platform remains relevant and up to date with industry trends and emerging technologies.
Working with data governance teams and the wider D&A community you will ensure that the data remains secure, well managed and fully governed and help to drive increased adoption of the data solutions across the enterprise.
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So if you help us do the right thing for our members, we’ll help further your career with us.
As part of our team you’ll get:
• Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
• Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• 24 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
• The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
• Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
• Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
At Nationwide we don’t have shareholders, we’re here for our members and we put their needs first in everything we do. And now, more than ever, two things are helping us go from strength to strength: we put our customers first, and we’re known for being open, honest and trustworthy.
We’re also the world’s largest building society, with communities at the heart of everything we do. We aim to do the right thing for our members which helps set us apart from our competitors. But we need good people to help us do it. People who understand what we believe in, and have the talent and drive to keep us successful.