Senior Test Engineer
Senior Test Engineer
- Location: Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary: £50,840 - £73,436
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002500092
- Closing Date: 21 June 2019
Nationwide has recently launched a new data strategy which will transform the way the society thinks about, values and manages its data. As part of this new strategy the data & analytics community, and more specifically, the data solutions team has a number of exciting new roles to help deliver on the promises of reducing the number of legacy data stores, simplifying the architectural landscape and treating data as a valued asset.
This role will focus on delivering reporting and analytics solutions onto the data lake and the Teradata warehouse, setting up and leading an enduring in-house engineering capability and helping drive the data strategy.
Combining accountabilities for delivery, continuous improvement and building an in-house capability, this exciting new role will provide the opportunity to work with some cutting-edge technologies, industry leading vendors and help shape and drive the next phase of the strategy execution.
For more information on this role please contact Andrew Cross (Hiring Manager) or Daniel Wilson (Resourcing Manager).
Who we're looking for
We are looking for a Senior Test Engineer (Data) that will work within a community of multi skilled teams to discuss / challenge and inform the approach for testable solutions and educating best practices in Testing and Quality - leading solutions across our Data and Analytics portfolio.
You should have evidence of deep leadership experience. You will notably…
• Be a strong leader with a deep technical understanding as you will be required to setup and lead a team of engineers alongside setting strategy
• Be able to demonstrate line management experience, be able to set SMART objectives and drive high performance and continual improvement
• Strong stakeholder management & engagement skills, effective at all levels
You will also have in-depth testing subject matter experience:
• Defining, Planning and managing manual and automated test phases on large scale data platforms
• In-depth experience of working within a DevOps toolchain and experience of tools such as Selenium, TFS and Cucumber
• Development within big data and data warehouse platforms and a broad range of associated technologies, such as Python, R, Spark, HIVE, Scala
• End to end Software Development Lifecycles, with knowledge of working in using both agile and waterfall methodologies
• Functional & Technical Design techniques
• A track record in fault analysis, diagnosis and resolution
• Experience of working in data solutions development using both agile and waterfall methodologies
• Excellent communication skills
It would be nice if you also had:
• Hands-on experience of commercial ETL tooling, such as Informatica, Ab Initio or DataStage
• Experience of appliance databases, such as Teradata or Netezza
• Have worked in the financial sector for part of your career to date
What you'll be doing
Reporting to the Senior Manager Data Engineering, you will be involved in all phases of the Software Development Lifecycle, thinking end to end. You will lead a team of test engineers responsible for the implementation of data solutions onto the new enterprise data platform in support of our strategy objective of simplifying our data landscape and delivery of insight and innovation. Working directly with business and IT stakeholders you will drive best practice and automation in the industrialisation of complex strategic IT initiatives alongside smaller user driven demand.
• Engagement with programmes & projects to provide expert input into all aspects of the lifecycle, from early life through to production support
• Implement automation first approach using industry best practices, targeting appropriate strategies for robust and repeatable automation and the appropriate exploratory / manual testing of change
• Proactively contributing to the evolution of Software engineering within Nationwide
• Quickly understanding problems and provide root cause analysis and resolution
• Engineering of data solutions, including design & code reviews
• Implements demonstrable and measurable, structured design techniques appropriate to the technology under Test
• Able to implement testing best practice methods specific to the technology under Test and aware of the benefits of using them. Has real world experience of implementing these practices
• You will help drive strategy, ensuring the platform remains relevant and up to date with industry trends and emerging technologies
• Understanding the business impact of technical changes and be comfortable making risk assessments
• Working with data governance teams and the wider D&A community you will ensure that the data remains secure, well managed and fully governed and help to drive increased adoption of the data solutions across the enterprise.
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So if you help us do the right thing for our customers, we’ll help further your career at Nationwide. As well as your salary, there’s life insurance a pension and a recognition and rewards scheme. We think it’s a great place to work, and we’re not afraid of giving you praise when you’ve done well.
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
At Nationwide we’re here for our members and we put their needs first in everything we do. And now, more than ever, two things are helping us go from strength to strength: we put our customers first, and we’re known for being open, honest and trustworthy.
We’re also the world’s largest building society, with communities at the heart of everything we do. We aim to do the right thing for our members, which helps set us apart from our competitors. But we need good people to help us do it. People who understand what we believe in, and have the talent and drive to keep us successful