- Location: Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary: £35,309 - £51,002
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002500094
- Closing Date: 21 June 2019
Nationwide has recently launched a new data strategy which will transform the way the society thinks about, values and manages its data. As part of this new strategy the data & analytics community, and more specifically, the data solutions team has a number of exciting new roles to help deliver on the promises of reducing the number of legacy data stores, simplifying the architectural landscape and treating data as a valued asset.
This role will focus on delivering reporting and analytics solutions onto the data lake and the Teradata warehouse, setting up and leading an enduring in-house engineering capability and helping drive the data strategy.
Combining accountabilities for delivery, continuous improvement and building an in-house capability, this exciting new role will provide the opportunity to work with some cutting-edge technologies, industry leading vendors and help shape and drive the next phase of the strategy execution.
For more information on this role please contact Andrew Cross (Hiring Manager) or Daniel Wilson (Resourcing Manager).
Who we're looking for
We are looking for a Test Data Engineer that will work within a community of multi skilled teams responsible for the creation of technical artefacts to deliver team objectives that are aligned to engineering principles and the architectural strategy. Providing technical expertise and support services to the squad/business area.
You should have demonstrable experience in aspects of…
• Defining, Planning and Executing manual and automated test phases on data platforms
• Some exposure to working within a DevOps toolchain and experience of tools such as Selenium, TFS and Cucumber would be a bonus
• Development within big data and data warehouse platforms and a broad range of associated technologies, such as Python, R, Spark, HIVE, Scala
• End to end Software Development Lifecycles, with knowledge of working in using both agile and waterfall methodologies
• Functional & Technical Design techniques
• A track record in fault analysis, diagnosis and resolution
• Experience of working in data solutions development using both agile and waterfall methodologies
• Excellent communication skills
• Experience of mentoring, training and task management of more junior team members
It would be nice if you also had:
• Hands-on experience of commercial ETL tooling, such as Informatica, Ab Initio or DataStage
• Experience of appliance databases, such as Teradata or Netezza
• Have worked in the financial sector for part of your career to date
What you'll be doing
Reporting to the Snr Test Engineer you will work with a team of engineers responsible for the implementation of data solutions onto the new Hadoop data lake in support of our strategy objective of simplifying our data landscape and delivery of insight and innovation. Working directly with business and IT stakeholders you will drive best practice, innovation and automation in the industrialisation of complex strategic IT initiatives alongside smaller user driven demand.
You will be working closely with the business, in an agile environment to:
• Produce estimates and impact assessments
• Clarify requirements
• Produce technical documentation
• Develop and support the solutions.
• Implement automation first approach using industry best practices, targeting appropriate strategies for robust and repeatable automation and the appropriate exploratory / manual testing of change
• Proactively contributing to the evolution of data engineering within Nationwide
• Quickly understanding problems and provide root cause analysis and resolution
• Working with Architecture you’ll be ensuring technology best practice and ensuring the platform remains relevant and up to date.
• Working with data governance teams and the wider D&A community you will ensure that the data remains secure, well managed and fully governed and help to drive increased adoption of the data solutions across the enterprise.
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So if you help us do the right thing for our customers, we’ll help further your career at Nationwide. As well as your salary, there’s life insurance a pension and a recognition and rewards scheme. We think it’s a great place to work, and we’re not afraid of giving you praise when you’ve done well.
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
than ever, two things are helping us go from strength to strength: we put our customers first, and we’re known for being open, honest and trustworthy.
We’re also the world’s largest building society, with communities at the heart of everything we do. We aim to do the right thing for our members, which helps set us apart from our competitors. But we need good people to help us do it. People who understand what we believe in, and have the talent and drive to keep us successful