Senior Data DevOps/Automation Engineer
Senior Data DevOps/Automation Engineer
- Location: Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary: £50,840 - £73,436
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002500117
- Closing Date: 21 June 2019
• Based in our head offices in Swindon
• Up to £73,436 a year dependent on experience
• Permanent 35-hour per week contract
Combining accountabilities for delivery, continuous improvement and building an in-house capability, this exciting new role means you’ll work with cutting-edge technologies and industry leading vendors, as well as helping to drive our strategy. Your initial focus will be on delivering, embedding and evolving a DevOps toolchain to underpin and accelerate our Agile approach to data solutions delivery.
For more information on this role please contact Andrew Cross (Hiring Manager) or Daniel Wilson (Resourcing Manager).
Who we're looking for
In addition to an inquisitive mindset and a passion for innovation, you will also:
• Have significant experience of working within a DevOps environment utilising a range of commercial and open source tools, with any exposure to Jira, TFS, UFT, Selenium and Jenkins a bonus
• Have a background in data engineering or operational support, again within a data domain
• Be experienced in driving both innovation and automation
• Have a good understanding and ideally some experience in the Hadoop big data appliance and a broad range of associated technologies, such as Python, R, Spark, HIVE, Scala
• Be a strong leader with a deep technical understanding as you will be required to set up and lead a team of engineers alongside setting strategy
• Have excellent stakeholder management and influencing skills
It would be nice if you also had:
• Hands-on experience of commercial ETL tooling, such as Informatica, Ab Initio or DataStage
• Experience of appliance databases, such as Teradata
• Have worked in the financial sector for part of your career to date
What you'll be doing
Reporting to the Senior Manager Data Engineering, you will lead the setup of a DevOps capability in the Data Solutions team, delivering efficient data pipelines, driving the adoption of data automation and working to make the delivery teams more efficient.
Linking the data engineers and data operations team you will be helping to implement a DevOps toolchain helping to drive efficient code management, test automation and deployment velocity onto both the Hadoop data lake and the Teradata enterprise warehouse.
Working with our designers and engineers, you will be looking continuously for further ways to adopt automation and improve efficiency in ways of working in order to reduce costs and increase pace.
In essence, you will be working as part of the team to “create the machine that builds the machine”.
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So, if you help us do the right thing for our members, we’ll help further your career with us.
As part of our team you’ll get:
• Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
• Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• 24 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
• The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
• Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
• Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
Click apply today and send us your CV.
Please note: To help us do the right thing by our members, all applicants will be subject to a criminal record and credit checks.
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
At Nationwide we don’t have shareholders, we’re here for our members and we put their needs first in everything we do. And as the world’s largest building society, communities are at the heart of everything we do. We need people who understand what we believe in, and have the talent and drive to keep us successful.