- Location: Swindon, London, Countrywide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002500137
- Closing Date: 30 November 2019
Location: London or Head Office, Swindon, with flexibility to work from home or another location for up to two days per week – dependent on delivery pressures.
The Analytics Hub sits in a new, data-led community that provides analytic and data science-based solutions to all areas of Nationwide. We solve real business problems, improve customer experience and drive efficiency. It’s an exciting time to join as the demand for innovation and analytics is increasing, so you’ll be able to grow with us in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
Who we're looking for
We’re looking for a Data Scientist with a specialism in analytics who is enthusiastic, proactive and ready to bring fresh ideas and methods to the team.
As a minimum, you’ll:
• Have experience with databases and SQL as well as processing unstructured data
• Have expertise using Python/R
• Have a MA in maths, statistics, computer science, physics, economics or related field or equivalent knowledge/experience
• Hadoop, PySpark, NLP or Deep learning experience would be beneficial
• Experience working with Machine Learning models and their inner workings
• Experience interpreting outputs of models and building visualizations to depict your interpretations
• Be innovative, creative and agile, developing and championing new ideas, spotting opportunities and learning fast along the way.
• Experience of SAS EM, VA/VS would be beneficial
What you'll be doing
Working within the agile framework, and a hub-and-spoke data science model, you will collaborate with different communities to understand the difficulties they face and identify improvements. You’ll develop new analytics use cases for the team to deliver and work collaboratively with both the data engineering teams and business stakeholders to understand how data can be used to support use case delivery.
The data you use will be varied and multi-faceted, and the insights you generate along the way will prove invaluable. We are constantly looking to utilise more varied structured, semi-structured and unstructured data sources to bring additional dimensions into our analysis. A key part of your role will be to seek out those sources and spot opportunities. Comfortable working with senior business leaders, you’ll build relationships across the Society, creating compelling data driven stories to support your outputs and findings.
We are currently investing in a new Big Data platform based on Hortonworks Hadoop, Teradata and Open Source tooling. We’ll use this technology to develop a strong data science capability and you will be at the forefront of early adopters looking to embrace and grow this capability.
The extras you'll get
Our people’s success isn’t based on how long they spend at their desk. While you’ll have contracted hours, we offer a flexible environment. That might be working from home, logging on from other offices across the UK, or working part time or compressed hours. We want to know how you like to work. And if we forget to ask, please tell us. We promise it won’t affect your chances at all.
There are all sorts of benefits, including:
- Personal pension (most people put in 7% of their salary which we’ll top up by a further 16%)
- Up to two days of paid volunteering a year
- Family-friendly benefits to make life easier for parents and carers
- 24 days holiday with the ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days additional holiday
- Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
- Personal development, support and training to help you to excel and develop your career
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
At Nationwide, we’re here for our members and we put their needs first in everything we do. And now, more than ever, two things are helping us go from strength to strength: we put our customers first, and we’re known for being open, honest and trustworthy.
We’re also the world’s largest building society, with communities at the heart of everything we do. We aim to do the right thing for our members which helps set us apart from our competitors. But we need good people to help us do it. People who understand what we believe in and have the talent and drive to keep us successful.
At Nationwide we have a strong ethic of care, and a genuine concern for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We are committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. If you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.