Senior Hadoop Administrator
Senior Hadoop Administrator
- Location: Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002500139
- Closing Date: 30 May 2019
We need: Senior Hadoop Administrator
Location: Based at our Head offices in Swindon
Salary: Up to £73,436 a year (depending on experience), plus competitive benefits package on a permanent 35-hour per week contract
Please send in your application by 30th May 2019.
For more information on this role please contact John Parkinson (Hiring Manager) or Tracey Buckley (Resourcing Consultant).
Nationwide has recently launched a new data strategy which will transform the way the society thinks about, values and manages its data. As part of this new strategy the data & analytics community, and more specifically, the data solutions team has a number of exciting new roles to help deliver on the promises of reducing the number of legacy data stores, simplifying the architectural landscape and treating data as a valued asset.
This role will focus on supporting the data lake and data warehouse platforms that deliver reporting and analytical solutions, helping to establish an in-house engineering capability and being an active part in driving forwards the data and analytics strategy of the society.
Combining accountabilities for delivery, continuous improvement and automation, this exciting new role will provide the opportunity to work with some cutting-edge technologies, industry leading vendors and help shape and drive the next phase of the strategy execution.
Who we're looking for
As a minimum requirement you’ll:
• Have significant experience of data lake and data warehouse delivery gained in a mix of
o strong experience in the Hadoop big data platform and a broad range of associated technologies, such as Python, R, Spark, HIVE, Scala
• Ensure the Hadoop platform can effectively meet performance & SLA requirements
• Support of Hadoop production/ non- production environments
• Consult on optimisation capacity planning of a multi-tenant cluster
• Consult on performance tuning and increase operational efficiency on a continuous basis – focusing on both platform and application efficiencies.
• Monitor health of the platforms and generate performance reports and monitor and provide continuous improvements
• Work closely with engineering, support and operation teams, jointly work on key deliverables ensuring production/ non- production scalability and stability
• Develop and enhance platform best practices
• Be a technical innovator with a curious mindset and a thirst for knowledge
• Work hand in hand with our business teams, you will have excellent stakeholder management and influencing skills
It would be nice if you also had:
• Experience of working in an Agile environment using SCRUM/Kanban
• Hands-on experience of working within a DevOps environment with tooling such as Jenkins, Docker, Cucumber etc
• Have worked in the financial sector for part of your career to date
What you'll be doing
Reporting to the Senior Manager Platform Management, you will liaise with the in-house Infrastructure Engineering function to ensure that the Hadoop platform is optimised, enabling the Engineering function to deliver data solutions onto the new IM estate in support of our strategy objective of simplifying our data landscape and delivery of insight and innovation. Working directly with business and IT stakeholders you will drive best practise, innovation and automation in the industrialisation of complex strategic IT initiatives alongside smaller user driven demand.
Working with Architecture you’ll be driving strategy, technology best practise and ensuring the platform remains relevant and up to date with industry trends and emerging technologies.
Working with data governance teams and the wider D&A community you will ensure that the data remains secure, well managed and fully governed and help to drive increased adoption of the data solutions across the enterprise.
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So, if you help us do the right thing for our members, we’ll help further your career with us.
As part of our team you’ll get:
• Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
• Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• 24 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
• The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
• Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
• Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
At Nationwide we don’t have shareholders, we’re here for our members and we put their needs first in everything we do. And now, more than ever, two things are helping us go from strength to strength: we put our customers first, and we’re known for being open, honest and trustworthy.
We’re also the world’s largest building society, with communities at the heart of everything we do. We aim to do the right thing for our members which helps set us apart from our competitors. But we need good people to help us do it. People who understand what we believe in and have the talent and drive to keep us successful.