Senior Data Consultant
Senior Data Consultant
- Location: Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002500144
- Closing Date: 03 August 2019
Senior Data Management Consultant
• Competitive salary + bonus + benefits
• Permanent 35-hour per week contract
• Send in your application by 3rd August 2019
We’re moving forward into the next chapter of our Society’s history with a refreshed strategy that allows us to leverage the benefits of mutuality and adapt to the ever-changing needs of our members. Data underpins this and all five of our cornerstones and is a great enabler towards achieving our ambition of building society, nationwide. We’re transforming the way we collect, look after and use member and business data, and that is why we’re creating new roles as important step in strengthening the data competence we need to realise the opportunity that data presents for our members and colleagues.
The Data & Analytics community is responsible for transforming our data and analytics capability to enable our colleagues to better serve our members’ needs. Within the community, the Data and Analytics Solutions team is responsible for the design, engineering, test and deployment of our data platforms and solutions which are at the core of our strategic ambitions. We’re significantly expanding and strengthening our inhouse teams and working closely with key strategic partners to deliver our strategic ambitions.
An exciting opportunity has now arisen to join the Data Labs team as a Senior Data Management Consultant ensuring our labs capability is set up for success. This is a new capability supporting the wider Data & Analytics Community to deliver data solutions for the business in an agile, flexible, fast paced approach utilising our Big Data platform.
This role will focus on getting value from our data lake which currently resides on our Hadoop / Teradata big data appliance, setting up an enduring in-house data lab engineering capability and helping drive the onwards data strategy.
Combining accountabilities for delivery, continuous improvement and building an in-house capability, this exciting new role will provide the opportunity to work with key stakeholders from across the business, working alongside industry leading vendors and help shape and drive the next phase of the strategy execution.
Who we're looking for
As a minimum requirement, you’ll:
• Have significant experience of data lake and data warehouse delivery gained in the banking sector.
• Possess a strong working knowledge of data warehouse solutions including Teradata, SQL Server and Oracle
• Data Integration / Migration - knowledge of ETL and data management tools, specifically Informatica (BDE), DataStage and SSIS
• Have a strong background in Big Data Framework/components, having proven experience with Hortonworks, Cloudera and the use of MapR, Hive, Scala and data streaming KAFKA both on-prem and cloud based
• Possess coding experience in data analysis and model development using the Python programming language.
• Be proficient with the use of SAS 9.4, with experience in SAS Base, Enterprise Guide, Macro programming and SAS SQL
• Have a working knowledge of Windows / UNIX (Ksh / Bash) / Linux (Bash) Shell Scripting.
• Have a working knowledge of visualisation and data exploration software- Tableau, Qliksense and Teradata Aster.
• Have experience in the use of Informatica IDQ (Data quality/profiling) and MDM (Master Data Management)
• Have worked with a variety of file types including CSV, XML, JSON and be familiar with transactional data and Adobe Analytics data
• Be confident in leading a team of Data Engineers and supporting the D&A strategic plan.
• Be innovative, creative and agile, developing and championing new ideas, spotting opportunities and learning fast along the way.
• Be able to demonstrate line management experience, be able to set SMART objectives and drive high performance and continual improvement
• Have excellent stakeholder management and influencing skills
What you'll be doing
As part of the Data & Analytics Solutions team, you will have a key role in supporting the delivery of our data labs capability including data provision, quality and validation.
Reporting directly to the Data Labs Manager, you will have responsibility for aspects of Nationwide’s data solutions, focusing on the sourcing, preparation and surfacing of data, primarily from our Hadoop/Teradata environments, to support the in-house Data Scientists to evaluate the potential value from a series of business hypotheses.
Key accountabilities will be to: -
• Own, drive and support data lab processes to ensure that our data solutions are cutting-edge, efficient and effective meet the business need
• Conform and where necessary, evolve our agreed governance and change control standards
• Drive and own the change within data and analytical solutions by supporting both the requirements of business users and the long-term vision for in-house improvements
• Support the Data Lab Manager with the delivery of activities with other business areas to provide them with data management solutions by ensuring that effective relationships are built
• Lead the technological innovation workstream, challenging the existing end-to-end process, looking for continued improvement.
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So, if you help us do the right thing for our customers, we’ll help further your career at Nationwide. As well as your salary, there’s life insurance a pension and a recognition and rewards scheme. We think it’s a great place to work, and we’re not afraid of giving you praise when you’ve done well.
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
At Nationwide we’re here for our members and we put their needs first in everything we do. And now, more than ever, two things are helping us go from strength to strength: we put our customers first, and we’re known for being open, honest and trustworthy.
We’re also the world’s largest building society, with communities at the heart of everything we do. We aim to do the right thing for our members, which helps set us apart from our competitors. But we need good people to help us do it. People who understand what we believe in, and have the talent and drive to keep us successful.