Software Engineer - E3 - Proof of Concept
Software Engineer - E3 - Proof of Concept
- Location: Swindon, South West England
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002801170
- Closing Date: 24 June 2019
Nationwide is investing £1.2b in IT transformation, so it’s never been a more exciting time to join. Building high performing teams plays a huge part in this transformation, which is why we need a skilled Applications & Development Manager to take on our brand-new Proof of Concept / Prototyping team.
We need high-performing individuals to cement our leadership position in the world of Open Banking as we collaborate with FinTech partners to continually innovate through new open API technologies. You’ll be part of an exciting new team based within our Engineering Centre of Excellence.
Who we're looking for
We need somebody with:
• Experience with the .NET Core framework
• Previous deliveries using cloud-based solutions in either AWS, Azure or Google Cloud (the broader knowledge of cloud service portfolios the better)
• Experience of using NoSQL data layers such as Cassandra/MongoDB
• Experience in API-driven and microservices-based architectures with sound knowledge of REST and JSON
• Familiarity with rapid and parallel development environments, process and techniques
• The ability and enthusiasm to research and learn new languages and frameworks
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to describe technical solutions to technical and non-technical people at all levels of seniority. The ability to communicate through engaging presentations is also required.
• The ability to quantify measures of success in a language that makes sense to stakeholders
Ideally, you also have:
• Experience of DevOps processes including CI / CD techniques and associated toolsets (e.g. Git, Jenkins, Puppet, Chef, Ansible etc.)
• Experience of implementing solutions using containerisation technology such as Docker and Kubernetes
• Experience implementing event-based architectures using tools such as Kafka
• Knowledge of Angular or Vue frameworks
What you'll be doing
You’ll be working to deliver Proof of Concepts and prototyping services across Technology Strategy, IT Architecture & Engineering. What you create in collaboration with your fellow engineers will help grow understanding of technology and inform decisions on potential use and adoption. This team will be using tools and ways of working that are new within Nationwide and you will be excited to work in an environment that is changing and adapting as it matures. You will be comfortable using a broad range of technologies and working with a wide spectrum of stakeholders and will relish opportunities to learn new tools and techniques.
You will work under the guidance of the team’s Lead Engineer but will also be a proactive problem solver and confident in sharing your ideas with the team. You’ll also be an excellent team player, enthusiastic about sharing your experience and knowledge with your colleagues and comfortable engaging with technical and non-technical people across the business.
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So, if you help us do the right thing for our members, we’ll help further your career with us.
• Access to training to help you progress your skills and career
• Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• 24 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
• Option to ‘buy’ 10 days more holiday
• Discount vouchers for various retail outlets
• Annual performance related bonus scheme
Click apply today and send us your CV to take your first step towards helping us build our Society.
Please note: To help us do the right thing by our members, all applicants will be subject to a criminal record and credit checks.
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
At Nationwide, we’re here for our members and we put their needs first in everything we do. And now, more than ever, two things are helping us go from strength to strength: we put our customers first, and we’re known for being open, honest and trustworthy.
We’re also the world’s largest building society, with communities at the heart of everything we do. We aim to do the right thing for our members which helps set us apart from our competitors. But we need good people to help us do it. People who understand what we believe in and have the talent and drive to keep us successful.
At Nationwide we have a strong ethic of care, and a genuine concern for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We are committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. If you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.