Data Engineering Manager
Data Engineering Manager
- Location: Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002801208
- Closing Date: 27 October 2019
• A Data Engineering Manager in our head offices in Swindon
• Permanent 35-hour per week contract
• Send in your application by ASAP
Nationwide has recently launched a new data strategy which will transform the way the society thinks about, values and manages its data. As part of this new strategy the data & analytics community, and more specifically, the data solutions team has a number of exciting new roles to help deliver on the promises of reducing the number of legacy data stores, simplifying the architectural landscape and treating data as a valued asset.
This role will focus on building and managing high performing teams tasked with delivering reporting and analytical solutions onto the data lake and data warehouse. The role will also focus on helping establish an in-house engineering capability and being an active part in driving forwards the data and analytics strategy of the society.
Combining accountabilities for capability build, continuous improvement and automation, this exciting new role will provide the opportunity to work with some innovative and driven people, industry leading vendors and help shape and drive the next phase of the strategy execution.
Who we're looking for
As a minimum requirement you’ll:
• Be a strong leader with a deep technical understanding as well as an ability to create and motivate high performing teams
• Have an Agile mindset, happy to embrace change and be able to instil these values in your team
• Have significant experience of data lake and data warehouse delivery gained in a mix of industry sectors
• Be a technical innovator with a curious mindset and a thirst for knowledge
• Working hand in hand with our business teams, you will have excellent stakeholder management and influencing skills
It would be nice if you also had:
• Experience of working in an Agile environment using SCRUM/Kanban
• Have worked in the financial sector for part of your career to date
What you'll be doing
Reporting to the Snr Mgr Data Engineering, your primary objective will be to create and manage effective teams of data engineers delivering high quality solutions onto the Hadoop and Teradata IM platform.
You will be asked to help drive our capability strategy combining the sourcing of external talent from other industry sectors with the development of our current engineering people helping them to embrace new skills and methods and help other Nationwide people gain opportunities within Data Engineering.
Having a positive mindset which embraces change you will play a key role in leading the teams transformation towards Agile techniques, helping to create a culture of innovation and driving an automation first mindset.
With line management accountability for up to 8 people you will work with your team of engineers to develop effective and measurable objectives, track and enhance performance and ensure the Data Engineering team builds a strong internal reputation for high performance.
Working with the Data Engineering leadership team, your peers, you will play a central role in ensuring the team is scaled and ready to meet the significant and growing demands of the organisation. This will mean you playing a central role in forecasting, planning and developing an engineering roadmap and driving value from our vendors and other external capability.
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So if you help us do the right thing for our members, we’ll help further your career with us.
As part of our team you’ll get:
- Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
- Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- 24 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
- The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
- Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
- Access to a Healthcare scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
At Nationwide we have a strong ethic of care, and a genuine concern for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We are committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. If you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide