Head of Delivery - Cloud
Head of Delivery - Cloud
- Location: Swindon, South West England
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002801319
- Closing Date: 22 August 2019
We’re no strangers to being at the forefront of technological breakthroughs – first in the UK to launch internet banking, joint first with Apple pay, Cisco leading-edge technology in our branches.
Building on that success, we’re now on a hugely exciting and ambitious transformation journey to become a simpler, more agile and innovative organisation, whilst remaining relentlessly focused on delivering legendary products and services to our members...
Our adoption of cloud is fundamental to the success of our material investment in technology for now and the future. The creation of first-class cloud products and capabilities that can be harnessed and leveraged are critical to achieving our strategy, delighting our members and the foundation of our digital capability. Our level of ambition is set high, that’s why we need an experienced cloud talent to drive forward our cloud strategy delivery.
And that’s where you come in…
Who we're looking for
Want to get involved in cloud based delivery challenges? Do you live and breathe hyperscale public cloud providers? Are you keeping yourself up to date with the latest cloud releases, functionality and approaches to cloud adoption?
If so you should be part of Nationwide’s exciting and growing Cloud Centre of Excellence. You’ll use your expertise to support and lead the delivery of the cloud vision through agile adoption, collaborative working and SME skills
As part of the Platform Squad community and working within our Cloud Centre of Excellence, we are looking for talented people with serious Infrastructure and Cloud leadership delivery experience and the ability to build awesome teams of empowered engineers and proactively find and fix problems before the impact the team.
As a minimum requirement you’ll:
- Be able to demonstrate a successful track record of IT delivery utilising agile ways of working -Scrum, Kanban, SAFe
- Have experience of both infrastructure and application delivery and be able to talk your successes in driving highly automated delivery through the development lifecycle
- Experience of building out or deploying into Cloud at scale working closely with colleagues including Engineering, Product, Architecture, Security, Risk and Operations.
- Be a pragmatic leader, rather than an agile purist…… Be able to run interference for the team, anticipate rocks in the road and clear them, leaving the team free to focus on planning and delivering
- Ensure delivery is predictable managing stakeholder expectations based on robust estimating and on established cadence.
- Work across domains to drive decisions that stick to enable teams to build in confidence
- Track and manage technical debt across the platforms ensuring remediation is prioritised into sprints alongside product requirements
- Experienced in working with External Partner Teams – we work closely with external suppliers to supplement our in-house development capabilities.
- Be a developer of people, able to talk about the high performing teams you have built.
- Be able to manage the team financials including inputting into and tracking 3rd Party Statements of Work
- Be able to facilitate sometimes conflicting views between dedicated product owner, lead engineer and architect to reach decisions that the team can plan against.
It would be nice if you also had:
- An engineering background, ideally in a Systems Integration role
- Financial Services Experience would be ideal
- Jira Knowledge – We use Jira here, so having experience of using Jira would be great.
- Multicloud experience, ideally AWS, Azure or Google
What you'll be doing
- Be accountable for the successful delivery of products and features for the Cloud CoE across multiple hyperscale public cloud platforms
- Manage the relationship with the Engineering Domain Lead regarding technical solutioning designs and tooling decisions
- Manage the relationship with the Architecture Domain Lead regarding architectural direction, patterns and policies
- Manage the relationship with the Product Domain Lead refining product roadmap and prioritisation
- Ensure relevant and appropriate governance, reporting and stakeholder management is executed to protect development time and focus
- Manage the Delivery Team (delivery leads and scrum masters), to build a fungible high performing team with consistent ways of working.
- Manage the relationship with Cloud Ops as the source of Site Reliability Engineers on Build rotation within the delivery teams.
- Manage the relationships with 3rd parties (Partner) against their outcome based assignments ensuring value is derived and they share and upskill the permanent team
- Establish relationships with peer Delivery Leads across Nationwide to ensure dependency management and relationships are healthy throughout the delivery cycle
- Be available to deputise/attend senior stakeholder meetings/forums on matters of delivery relevance as necessary
- Work with Finance and People & Talent partners to ensure the allocated budget allows for the necessary resources to deliver the ask
- Own and manage the allocated budget to ensure ROI and value is derived
- Work with People & Talent and Cloud Ops to ensure necessary training is provided to keep the team growing whilst on build rotation
- Ensure the ongoing adoption and persistence of agreed agile principles and methodologies
- Maintain agreed ceremonies and embed the reporting and review of agile metrics to align with a standardised delivery approach to enable fungible/swap in-out-ability
- Establish the right processes for managing a portfolio of work in an agile way or at the organisation level
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So if you help us do the right thing for our members, we’ll help further your career with us.
As part of our team you’ll get:
- Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
- Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- 30 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
- The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
- Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
- Access to a Healthcare scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
- Company car or allowance worth £4656
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
At Nationwide we have a strong ethic of care, and a genuine concern for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We are committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities.
If you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured and you feel empowered to contribute then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.