Lead Engineer Cloud
Lead Engineer Cloud
- Location: Swindon, London, Countrywide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002801322
- Closing Date: 27 October 2019
Based at our Head Office in Swindon, or London (required to be in Swindon 3 days pw)
We’re no strangers to being at the forefront of technological breakthroughs – first in the UK to launch internet banking, joint first with Apple pay, Cisco leading-edge technology in our branches.
Building on that success, we’re now on a hugely exciting and ambitious transformation journey to become a simpler, more agile and innovative organisation, whilst remaining relentlessly focused on delivering legendary products and services to our members...
Our adoption of cloud is fundamental to the success of our material investment in technology for now and the future. The creation of first-class cloud products and capabilities that can be harnessed and leveraged are critical to achieving our strategy, delighting our members and the foundation of our digital capability. Our level of ambition is set high, that’s why we need an experienced cloud talent to drive forward our cloud strategy delivery.
And that’s where you come in…
Want to get involved in Cloud based technical challenges? Do you live and breathe hyperscale public cloud providers? Are you someone who appreciates similarities and differences between DevOps and SRE? Are you keeping yourself up to date with the latest releases, functionality and approaches to cloud adoption?
If so you should be part of Nationwide’s exciting and growing Cloud Centre of Excellence. You’ll use your expertise in the creation of technical artefacts to deliver the cloud vision within the Nationwide engineering principles and the architectural strategy.
As part of the Engineering community and working within our Cloud Centre of Excellence, we are looking for talented people who have the ability to lead by example and provide mentorship to the team.
Who we're looking for
You will have a broad knowledge of the components listed below and combined with the confidence your experience brings help us deliver best in class services to our members.
You will be working in a fast-paced, ambiguous environment as part of a new/developing team, and as such team approach and collaborative mindset are key to being the right candidate.
The product roadmap you’ll be taking from demand through design and into build and then through to production requires the ability to work with a range of stakeholders from across the Cloud Centre of Excellence such as Architecture and Product Ownership as well as the Customers (other areas of Nationwide)
As a result, the minimum requirement you’ll have:
• A depth of experience in hands-on coding (say 5+ years)
• A depth of experience around Site Reliability and DevOps (say 2-3+ years)
• Experience of managing development teams (3 years)
• Good understanding of security in the cloud (CSA etc.)
• Hands-on development experience of the cloud platform
• Agile scrum experience
• Container orchestration experience
• A Depth of knowledge around languages such as – java, .net, core, python
• Experience with Openshift, Ansible and Terraform
It would be nice if you also had:
• B2B Experience – We are building solutions that will be consumed by other technical teams within Nationwide, and therefore experience of building B2B products would be advantageous.
• Regulatory Experience – A lot of our work will mainly involve taking off the shelf products from hyperscale public cloud suppliers and “harden” them to the level of controls required for the financial services industry. Experience in a regulated environment would be ideal but does not necessarily need to be financial services.
What you'll be doing
interpretation of Business Demand and to translate that into products, and to them lead the junior developers through the build process.
• Provide technical expertise across the delivery lifecycle, including providing technical leadership and consultancy to stakeholders
• Interpret business demand and translate it in conjunction with Product Ownerships and Architecture into real life products.
• Produce both high and low level designs, epics and stories to enable the Scrum team of Site Reliability Engineers to deliver artefacts that meet the business demand.
• Identifying and implementing technically complex artefacts to meet the team’s objectives
• Provide direction to a team of Site Reliability Engineers to create fit for purpose cloud platform artefacts that meeting requirements of the demand and fit the engineering architectural strategy
• Organise the work of the Site Reliability Engineers relying on technical knowledge to create efficiencies and give appropriate direction.
• Leading and mentoring junior members of Site Reliability Engineers whilst on Design and Build rotations.
• To drive decisions and remove blockers to drive forward implementation of technical artefacts
The extras you'll get
For helping us do the right thing for our members, you’ll get:
- 24 days’ holiday plus 8 bank holidays with the ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday.
- Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
- Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
- Life Assurance worth 8x your salary
- Training to help you progress and develop your skills and career aspirations
We think it’s a great place to work, and we’re not afraid of giving you praise when you’ve done well.
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
At Nationwide we’re here for our members and we put their needs first in everything we do. And now, more than ever, two things are helping us go from strength to strength: we put our customers first, and we’re known for being open, honest and trustworthy.
We’re also the world’s largest building society, with communities at the heart of everything we do. We aim to do the right thing for our members, which helps set us apart from our competitors. But we need good people to help us do it. People who understand what we believe in, and have the talent and drive to keep us successful.
At Nationwide we have a strong ethic of care, and a genuine concern for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We are committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. If you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.