Senior Architect - Cloud
Senior Architect - Cloud
- Location: Swindon, London, UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002801332
- Closing Date: 27 October 2019
• Cloud - Senior Architect based in any of our primary locations e.g. Head office in Swindon, Bournemouth, Northampton or London.
• Permanent full-time 35 hour a week contract.
We are looking for passionate and experienced enterprise level Cloud Architects. As part of Chief Technology Office, these Senior Architect roles are responsible for Cloud Platforms, Products and Strategy supporting our new Cloud Centre of Excellence in the Architecture, Strategy and Policy domain. You will own the definition of our strategic cloud architecture and be focused on making it real, viable and generating value within our hosting estate. More importantly you’ll be driving through the cloud elements of our technology strategy, sharing passion and enthusiasm to change our existing estate to benefit our members and colleagues.
Who we're looking for
As a minimum requirement you’ll:
• Be motivated by change and excited to make a real difference in our technology roadmap
• Want to do the very best by our members and colleagues
• Have 3- 5 years architectural/design/implementation/consulting experience with leading cloud technologies and public cloud vendors (AWS, Azure, GCP)
• Know all about cloud connectivity across multi-cloud environments
• Possess a good understanding of data and its importance in cloud architecture
• Have a strong knowledge of virtualised platforms and migrating workloads to public cloud
• Most likely have a Technical degree or equivalent
• Be able to demonstrate experience working with cloud related technologies in similar environments (ideally regulated but not essential)
• Have worked on successful cloud adoption programmes leading the architecture definition for net-new and legacy platforms
• Enjoy communicating effectively at all levels internally and externally
• Have great presentation skills that you are happy using with senior executives, technical specialists and business managers
• Easily create strong written materials
• Show passion for new technologies and want to learn quickly
It would be nice if you also had:
• An understanding of automation and methodologies, tools and how they can be applied
• Knowledge of cloud security tools, techniques and approaches
• Knowledge of container management and orchestration tools
• Strong DevOps knowledge
• Solid understanding of traditional infrastructure and application architecture domains
• Other qualities or experience that will make you really successful in this role!
What you'll be doing
In our new Cloud Centre of Excellence we build, deploy, scale and maintain of company-wide platforms for cloud solutions. By defining and applying the right controls we are able to increase our adoption of cloud services and transform our hosting estate.
The Senior Cloud architect provides enterprise level definition of the cloud model and the cloud adoption roadmap which is a vital part of the our cloud strategy. You will need to be able to provide detailed technical guidance and consulting to architecture, technical, operational and delivery teams. It is important you ensure that the society is adopting proven cloud architecture good practice, and that the execution of the cloud roadmap aligns with the Nationwide Technology and Cloud Strategies.
These roles has a broad array of responsibilities and you will have the skills, experience and knowledge to provide solid technical leadership to other groups. You will build close relationships with these teams and be able to jump in and provide practical guidance, grounded in real world experience, as necessary.
The Cloud architecture team within the Cloud Centre of Excellence is focussing on cloud adoption and ensuring the best value from public (AWS, Azure and Google) cloud solutions so experience and skills related to this aim are vital.
Enjoy the responsibility and autonomy of a role that showcases your technical, organisational and personal skills while making a real difference to our cloud adoption journey! A typical week might include some of the following:
• Leading the definition of the cloud model that underpins the society cloud strategy
• Sharing cloud architecture proven good practices and approaches with technical stakeholder teams
• Owning the enterprise knowledge stores for cloud assets and materials
• Producing architectural reference material, principles, patterns and templates to help projects and operations teams implement a successful cloud topology
• Supporting the Cloud Centre of Excellence within the Architecture, Strategy and Policy domain
• Forming key relationships with the Cloud Operations lead within the Centre of Excellence and support them in the realisation and operation of the cloud platforms deployed in the organisation to create a class leading cloud operational capability
• Evaluating and helping implement to PoV level, 3rd party solutions related to cloud technologies, workload assessment and integration
• Evaluating new vendor-specific cloud services and determine potential applicability at Nationwide
• Acting as a technical liaison between cloud providers, 3rd party solution providers and internal teams
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So, if you help us do the right thing for our members, we’ll help further your career with us.
As part of our team you’ll get:
• Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
• Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• 30 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
• The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
• Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
• Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
• Car allowance
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
At Nationwide we have a strong ethic of care, and a genuine concern for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We are committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. If you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured and you feel empowered to contribute then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.