- Location: Swindon, South West England
- Salary: £54,231 - £88,126
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002801381
- Closing Date: 29 August 2019
We are looking for an outstanding candidate for a Lead Business Designer role in the Payments Squad, reporting directly into the Payments Squad Chief Product Owner.
The ‘Payments Squad’ has been established as part of Nationwide’s transition to a new change operating model, defined by our enterprise-wide initiative ‘#WeAreChange’. The Squad has end-to-end accountability for change delivery from idea to outcome. Through this model we are further developing an enduring payments capability who have a deep knowledge of the payments industry and of payments at Nationwide.
This role is accountable for the business design approach and leadership of business design activities; as well as for supporting the shaping of enterprise and Payments outcomes to form a roadmap for change. As the Lead Business Designer within the Payments Squad, you will lead your team to deliver consistently excellent service to the Payments Squad. You will continuously improving the performance of your Business Design team (c. 30 people) and lead them in directly translating the OKRs into effective business solutions, balancing the requirements of the business against cost and time constraints through various change initiatives.
As a candidate for this role you should be a natural leader, with extensive experience of Business Analysis and Architecture. You should have a passion for Payments and about delivering value to Nationwide’s members and about inspiring others to do the same. You will be expected to support the Squad in making a quantifiable difference in the payments services that Nationwide provides to its members.
Who we're looking for
You’ll need to have:
- Extensive experience of working within a business analysis and business architecture (i.e. operating model) capacity, on complex initiatives/projects, spanning multiple business units in a large organisation.
- An excellent track record of being able to deliver end-to-end from initiative inception to successful go-live, including business readiness planning and deployment.
- The ability to anticipate challenges that will affect realisation of objectives and identify both strategic and tactical solutions to minimise impact.
- The ability to identify and drive continuous improvement, constantly looking for opportunities to improve delivery and ‘release’ incremental value.
- A track record of shaping ambiguous and unknown problems, and pieces of work, into coherent structures, approaches and business cases.
- Proven experience applying expert analysis skills to shape the change team vision. You maintain links into the overall organisational strategy, course-correcting as necessary.
- A strong understanding of business processes and how technology supports a business. This may include proven working knowledge of technical applications.
- The ability to transcend between supporting your teams with detailed analysis to other activities which required the provision of strategic levels of insight.
- Outstanding leadership qualities, evidenced in a variety of stakeholder and team environments.
- Proven experience of functional leadership, responsible for teams ranging from 15 – 100 FTE, across multiple sizeable or complex change initiatives.
- A passion for people’s development and high performance.
- A proven track record of developing high-performing, self-empowered teams, and ability to effectively manage mixed teams of internal and non-Nationwide resources (e.g. DRC).
- The ability to define compelling short and long-term visions and create followership around these from your team(s).
- Extremely high quality written and verbal communication and influencing skills.
- Ability to build strong, trusted relationships at a number of levels rapidly.
- Experience building an understanding of strategy and creating appropriate plans to deliver this.
- The ability and confidence to challenge and influence stakeholders appropriately to achieve optimal trade-offs between priorities.
It would be desirable if you also had:
- A professional qualification in business analysis or business architecture.
- Extensive experience of working in an Agile environment.
- Financial services experience, ideally in payments.
- Experience developing business strategy and creating supporting roadmaps.
- An understanding of leadership and business psychology.
What you'll be doing
You will be responsible for:
- Leading a team of business designers within the payments Squad. Implementing quality and pace both directly and through your supporting Senior Business Designers using a range of ‘good practice’ architectural and analysis techniques.
- In collaboration with the CPO:
- Making business design-led recommendations to Squad leaders, using internal and external knowledge, providing challenge and innovative thinking aligned Payments and Enterprise OKRs.
- Supporting the development of the roadmap for the Payments Squad; defining target and transition states required to meet OKRs, ensuring continued alignment to the Society Strategy.
- Scoping, planning and defining the approach and artefacts for change teams to meet OKRs, whilst considering factors such as sourcing, cost, time and the optimum value-for-money resolution.
- Articulating complex business needs and supporting the development of business cases
- Validating the shape and scope of deliveries, relative to Business Needs and business cases.
- Delivering high quality business design outcomes across all Payments Squad initiatives – defining, on a case-by-case basis, what the most appropriate deliverables and outputs could entail. Communicate status and ownership to relevant stakeholders throughout the deliveries and into go-live.
- Interlocking with technology colleagues (e.g. Engineers and IT Architecture) to understand how Business Design can support integrated and efficient business and IT designs.
- Driving and encouraging the transition of the Squad to increasingly Agile ways-of-working, particularly for the Business Design team.
- Developing and continuously enhancing the capability of Payments Business Design. This will include increasing the skill of Business Designers in existing skillsets and strategically developing additional capabilities.
- Identifying connections and dependencies between change initiatives, proactively maintaining alignment and mitigating risks.
- Constantly developing your own SME knowledge of the payments industry and of payments at Nationwide.
- Coaching other Business Designers to high performance – both those you line manage and more junior members of the team.
- You will also be interacting with a wide range of stakeholders in and outside the squad, supporting their understanding of the services that Payments Business Design provides and establishing effective relationships.
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So, if you help us do the right thing for our members, we’ll help further your career with us.
As part of our team you’ll get:
- Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
- Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- 30 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
- The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
- Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
- Access to a Healthcare scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
- Company car or allowance worth £4656
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
At Nationwide we have a strong ethic of care, and a genuine concern for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We are committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities.
If you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured and you feel empowered to contribute then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.