Senior Architect - Payments
Senior Architect - Payments
- Location: Swindon, South West England
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002801397
- Closing Date: 17 September 2019
• Based at our Head Office in Swindon. Just an hour from London by train.
• Salary (based on a 35-hour working week) to reflect experience.
• Full time, permanent job with clear pathways to further development and promotion.
An exciting opportunity has arisen to take a lead role as Senior Architect, in Nationwide’s Payments Technology team. At Nationwide we believe in putting our members’ needs first and are looking for an experienced Architect to help shape the future of Payments solutions, to improve member experience through industry leading technical excellence and best practice.
Who we're looking for
An experienced Senior Technical Architect to join our Payments Squad in Swindon and lead our Payments architecture team. You’ll have experience working for an organisation that operates a complex technical portfolio with multiple objectives. Therefore, you’ll be used to working in a challenging environment and can react with pace to changing demands and priorities.
As a minimum requirement, you’ll have:
• Knowledge of UK Payments schemes, including Faster Payments, BACS, CHAPS, Cheques and Cards
• The ability and mindset to quickly learn new and emerging technologies and apply them to create new solutions
• Be motivated by change and excited to make a real difference in our technology roadmap
• Want to do the very best by our members and colleagues
• Working in Agile and/or DevOps environments, particularly with experience of maintaining solution governance in an Agile environment
• Experience of working with different architectures and integration patterns, such as Enterprise, Cloud, Event Streaming or Microservices
• Excellent communication and influencing skills
• Excellent team leading skills, plus confidence working with stakeholders across multiple disciplines and levels
• Experience of solution delivery using both Agile and Waterfall methodologies.
It would be nice if you also had:
• Previous experience of working in the Financial Services industry
What you'll be doing
As a Senior Architect for our critical Payment processing systems, you will play a critical role in a new era for Nationwide, as we modernise our Payments capability through leveraging Cloud technology and new architecture patterns. You will evolve our Reference Architecture and Transition State plans to ensure resilience throughout our Big Investment in Technology (5-year investment plan), paying particular attention to the ‘New Payments Architecture’ plans as they emerge from industry.
You will play a key role in keeping our Technology Strategy updated as a living document and ensuring that Payments content is aligned to the rest of the organisation strategy. You will also delegate for the Technology Lead as required, representing the Chief Technology Office to other parts of the Payments Squad and wider organisation, to ensure our Technology Strategy is delivered at pace, and within governance and risk appetites.
You’ll already be comfortable juggling projects, handling complexity and immersing yourself in a team - and be ready to share your expertise with our emerging talent. You’ll have developed a practical knowledge and instinctive eye for what large tech departments require to deliver world class services.
In return, we’ll give you the tools to work in the way that suits you, and make sure your voice is influential. We’ll look to you to add insight and value to every project and new initiative in your area and give you the opportunity to further grow your commercial acumen, as well as your technical skills. Our promotional pathways are clear and well-trodden; it’s in our company DNA to continually challenge our staff to be better, however technically proficient they are already.
The extras you'll get
What do you get in return?
Feeling as though you belong means being valued, recognised and rewarded. We aim to give our people a good work-life balance, so you’ll receive your schedule in advance, helping you to organise your life. We show our support through the recognition and rewards scheme we offer:
• Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
• Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• 30 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
• The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
• Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
• Access to a healthcare scheme
• Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
At Nationwide, we’re here for our members and we put their needs first in everything we do. And as the world’s largest building society, communities are at the heart of everything we do. Doing the right thing for our members helps set us apart from our competitors. But we need good people to help us do it. People who understand what we believe in, and have the talent and drive to keep us successful.
At Nationwide we have a strong ethic of care, and a genuine concern for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We are committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. If you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.