Test Engineering Manager
Test Engineering Manager
- Location: Swindon, London, UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002801494
- Closing Date: 31 October 2019
Nationwide is investing £1.2b in IT transformation, so it’s never been a more exciting time to join. Building high performing teams plays a huge part in this transformation, which is why we need skilled Test Engineers to join our new Test Engineering Centre of excellence.
We need high-performing individuals to accelerate our test engineering transformation, embedding test solutions which ensure the Society has built the right products & services to the right quality, evidencing the change delivers the agreed outcomes.
Combining accountabilities for delivery, continuous improvement, building an in-house capability and line management this role will provide the opportunity to work with some cutting-edge technologies and industry leading vendors. For us, it’s not just about having the right technical background, you need to have an open mind, be able to work collaboratively and be driven to learn and succeed.
• Test Engineering Manager (EM1)
• Salary – competitive, to reflect experience
• Pension, life assurance, holiday, and flexible benefits
• Experience required in creating solutions and frameworks for functional and non-functional testing
• Ability to provide guidance and direction to other engineers
• Based in Swindon
Who we're looking for
We are looking for a Test Engineering Manager who will work within a community of multi skilled teams to create and execute testing solutions including automation frameworks
We need someone with:
Testing and quality expertise including:
• Structured test techniques to derive appropriate test coverage and drive efficiency in test
• Functional and/or Non-functional testing
• Appropriate certification in test methods and practices e.g. ISTQB/ISEB, CAT, Practitioner in Agile Quality
• Understanding appropriate test approaches for various system topologies such as Cloud, client server, mainframe, event driven architectures.
Knowledge and experience of End to End software development cycles including:
• Experience of collaborative and agile teams
• Understanding of traditional, waterfall development modes and creating relevant approaches
• Test evidence and associated artefacts to support quality
• Strong technical leadership and organisational skills
• Experience of line management and development of test engineers
Strong stakeholder management skills with excellent verbal and written communication.
• Deep test experience with the ability to inspire a test engineering team
• Proven ability to be accountable for test engineering decisions within a technical environment
• The ability to quantify measures of success in a language that makes sense to stakeholders
• Proven thought leadership to influence the strategy for engineering to challenge and inform the approach for testable solutions
• Management of and engagement with our Test partners and 3rd party suppliers
You should also be able to demonstrate:
• Ability to Implement automation first approach targeting appropriate strategies for robust and repeatable automation and the appropriate exploratory / manual testing of change
• Skills to contribute to the creation and ongoing maintenance of engineering principles, patterns and standards to reflect best practice and effective use within the organisation
• The ability to understand the business impact of technical changes and be comfortable making risk assessments
• Proactivity in contributing to the evolution of Software engineering within Nationwide
You might also have:
• DevOps principles, practices and tools such as:
- Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Behaviour and Feature Driven Development (BDD, FDD
- Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment pipelines
• Technical expertise including:
- Knowledge of databases and expertise in structured querying to support testing.
- Tools such as Selenium, SOAP UI/Ready API, Eggplant, Saucelabs, Browserstack, ARD, JIRA, TFS, GIT, Cucumber
• Knowledge of advanced techniques such as mutation testing, Model Based Testing
• Worked in the financial sector for part of your career to date in Retail banking or Mortgages
What you'll be doing
Joining the Test Engineering Centre of Excellence and reporting to an Engineering Manager (EM2), you will work within a development squad, becoming involved in quality in all elements of the Software Development Lifecycle.
You will be responsible for the creation and delivery of test outcomes through the implementation of quality testing solutions aligned to proven patterns.
Working directly with business and IT stakeholders you will drive best practice and automation in the testing of complex strategic IT initiatives alongside smaller deliveries and provide technical leadership enabling decisions to be made with confidence and at pace.
Line managing test engineers including performance management and support with personal development.
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So, if you help us do the right thing for our members, we’ll help further your career with us.
• Access to training to help you progress your skills and career
• Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• 24 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
• Option to ‘buy’ 10 days more holiday
• Discount vouchers for various retail outlets
• Annual performance related bonus scheme
• Company car allowance worth £4656
Click apply today and send us your CV to take your first step towards helping us build our Society.
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
At Nationwide we’re here for our members and we put their needs first in everything we do. And now, more than ever, two things are helping us go from strength to strength: we put our customers first, and we’re known for being open, honest and trustworthy.
We’re also the world’s largest building society, with communities at the heart of everything we do. We aim to do the right thing for our members, which helps set us apart from our competitors. But we need good people to help us do it. People who understand what we believe in, and have the talent and drive to keep us successful.
At Nationwide we have a strong ethic of care, and a genuine concern for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We are committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. If you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.