Architect - Data
Architect - Data
- Location: Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002801590
- Closing Date: 31 March 2020
• A number of data architects to be based in our Swindon Head Office.
• Competitive salary based on a permanent, 35 hours per week, contract.
We’re moving forward into the next chapter of our Society’s history with a refreshed strategy that allows us to leverage the benefits of mutuality and adapt to the ever-changing needs of our members. Data underpins all five of our cornerstones and is a key enabler towards achieving our ambition of building society, nationwide. We’re transforming the way we look after and use member and business data, and that is why we’re creating new roles as an important step in strengthening the data competence we need to realise the opportunity that data presents for our members and colleagues.
The Architecture domain is a vibrant and growing department within the Resilience and Agility Community of Nationwide with a challenging mandate to architect and assure the delivery of an effective, well governed and innovative data architecture that enables pragmatic solutions.
As part of your application you are required to submit a covering letter which includes the following:
- Why are you interested in a data architecture role?
- What skills would you bring to the role that would of value to Nationwide?
- What is your biggest achievement in your career to date?
Who we're looking for
You’ll be a credible individual who is armed with widespread experience of data architecture. You will be familiar with big data and noSQL technologies or data modelling techniques. You’ll have used architecture frameworks and methods to successfully deliver change as an architect.
You will be able to demonstrate the following core competencies:
Leadership - You will inspire trust and be able to properly motivate, influence and support decisions. You will be able to communicate clearly with stakeholders across the organisation and set an example for your colleagues.
Collaboration and Growth - You will be able to ensure that knowledge, ideas, opinions and experience are properly represented in common principles, guidelines, structures and plans and share this with your colleagues in the practice.
Dealing with Complexity - You will be able to demonstrate your ability to reduce complex information to essentials and to clearly and concisely communicate complex concepts to technical and non-technical audiences
Organisation - You will be able to facilitate the process in which responsibilities are assigned properly within the organisation and you will be able to plan your own and, where appropriate, others time and resources effectively
As a skilled Data Architect you will have some or all of the following skills and knowledge:
• Experience in technology architecture specifically in information disciplines of big data, data warehousing, master and reference data management
• Demonstrable experience of pragmatic approaches to Data Architecture across Enterprise Scale platforms / Big Data technologies, such as Hadoop, Mongo dB, Kafka, Spark, Splunk, R, Python
• Experience in data modelling techniques including; ER modelling, Kimball methods, Data Vaults and big data modelling
• An understanding or the ability to quickly gain an understanding of our core systems and strategic direction
• Experience in creating and managing documentation materials appropriate to the audience and situation that enables our architectural vison to be realised
What you'll be doing
Working within our Architecture Domain, you’ll be accountable for defining the data architecture for major change initiatives, and ensuring solutions align with our architecture.
Specifically, you will be required to:
• Own the enterprise data architecture and its use in all purposes, including data reference architecture, design materials, and roadmaps
• Gain approval of these outputs from Architects, executive sponsors and executive level governance boards such as the Technical Design Authority
• Lead on the data architecture on a variety of projects on behalf of the Architecture function
• Develop and maintain your network of architecture peers to ensure architectures and strategies are being communicated, understood and followed
• For simple, non-complex sourcing work, govern decisions to ensure alignment to Business, IT Strategies and relevant Architecture standards
• Provide specialist consultancy and advice on complex tasks, business functions and delivery solutions
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So, if you help us do the right thing for our members, we’ll help further your career with us.
As part of our team you’ll get:
• Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
• Pension scheme where if you pay in 7%, we’ll top it up to 23%
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• 25 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
• The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
• Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
• Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
At Nationwide, we’re here for our members and we put their needs first in everything we do. And now, more than ever, two things are helping us go from strength to strength: we put our customers first, and we’re known for being open, honest and trustworthy.
We’re also the world’s largest building society, with communities at the heart of everything we do. We aim to do the right thing for our members which helps set us apart from our competitors. But we need good people to help us do it. People who understand what we believe in and have the talent and drive to keep us successful.
At Nationwide we have a strong ethic of care, and a genuine concern for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We are committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. If you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
You may also be interested in these related vacancies
Architect - Network Infrastructure Security